• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
To me, a rifle or firearm is something you can pick up and shoot. Obviously you cannot do that with just a lower. But, I also think that since the lower is the piece that is serial numbered then it should be listed with rifles and not as parts. When i think of parts, i think if trigger springs, pins, etc... Just my opinion.

I call it a firearm, but as a retired LEO, I tend to think toward the statutory definition and I wouldn't want to confuse a novice who might think because it COULD be called a part, it doesn't require as much diligence as one would extend to a fully assembled FIREARM and then get themselves into a potentially very expensive legal dilema.

That is an excellent point. I have had issues with this subject myself not originally knowing the legalities...

Gun= Something I can put ammo in and fire
Part= Something that needs other items before I can put ammo in it and fire

That's my thinking on it for a forum view, legal view is not the same as common sense view.

Gun= Something I can put ammo in and fire
Part= Something that needs other items before I can put ammo in it and fire

That's my thinking on it for a forum view, legal view is not the same as common sense view.

This has always been my thinking.

Could a mod please post a link to this thread in the trading post forums? Pain in the ass from my phone.

I understand how the batf classifies it. What I really want to know is how do you personally classify it, and where do you want those listings to be when you go to browse the trading post?

Just my opinion but if I was looking for an AR lower I'd look first in the rifle section assuming it's a rifle lower. A pistol lower I'd look in the pistol section. Now if I was looking for a lower parts kit, or a barrel, or a stock then I'd look in accessories, etc. I guess I think of the BATF rules.

If someone has a stripped lower, they should be able to put it in the handgun and rifle listings. The stripped lower is in fact a firearm just as the barreled receiver of a ruger pistol is. To keep things as simple as possible the legal definition should be followed. There are a lot of people that do not now the laws (this thread is proof) and could get in trouble looking under "ammo andaccessoriess" just to find out they have just bought a firearm.

I think simple is always better, keeping with the law and not peoples opinion will always be the best solution.

All this being said I'll vote "RIFLE"

Back
Top Bottom