Is Bullseye all I need?

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I have a copy of the 1998 Alliant load catalog, which shows the following:
Capture.JPG
90% of what I've been reloading is 38 Special (3.5 gr BE under 158 gr SWC) and slightly hot +P / lightweight 357 magnum (4.0 gr BE under SWC). I'm loading these for a Taurus 617 which is a compact frame 357 magnum revolver (about 29 ounces, roughly comparable to a S&W K frame). I may venture into 5.0 gr BE in the 357 case, but I don't expect to go much if any beyond that. If I can find a place I can chronograph some loads, I'll probably try to work up some loads in the 1000 fps to maybe 1100 fps range tops, if this powder will take me there safely. Otherwise I'm happy with the loads above which I've already tried.

I've read some opinions that Bullseye is not an ideal powder for 38 special +P loads and 357 magnum loads. But looking at the 1998 Alliant load data, I don't see why they say that. I can do pretty much anything with Bullseye that I could do with Unique, at similar pressures, according to that chart -- just lacking a few fps at the top end of the lightest and fastest bullets in 357 magnum.

I'm aware of the issue of double charges with Bullseye, but it doesn't appear that Unique is significantly different (maybe 10% more powder by weight for the same result). So that's not a compelling reason to switch to Unique, unless I'm missing something.

For the applications I've described, is there any compelling reason to use something besides Bullseye?

I used to use a TON of bullseye then graduated to solo 1000. I love the solo. Shoots more consistent and a he'll of a lot cleaner burning

As I've stated many times, Bullseye is good powder, but I simply don't care for really fast burning low density powders.

It'll deliver, but when dealing with small charges, small variations can make big differences.

I like powders that give better load density. A larger charge isn't usually harshly affected with small variations in the charge. A half full case is much more difficult to double charge than one with a dusting of powder.

As I've stated many times, Bullseye is good powder, but I simply don't care for really fast burning low density powders.

It'll deliver, but when dealing with small charges, small variations can make big differences.

I like powders that give better load density. A larger charge isn't usually harshly affected with small variations in the charge. A half full case is much more difficult to double charge than one with a dusting of powder.

Good point. Addressing the double-charge issue and the consistency of the charges from case to case are critical with BE.

I've adjusted my loading process to avoid double charges. I use Lee loading dies, and pour the powder through a funnel into the expander/powder-through die. Starting with primed, resized cases, sitting primer side up in a bullet case:

1) Weigh out the charge (usually 3.5 gr BE) on my 10-10 balance scale. Yes, I weigh each charge individually.
2) Place an empty case in the press, raise it up to the top of the stroke (expander/powder-through die).
3) Pour the weighed charge into a funnel on top of the expander/powder die, into the case.
4) Remove the case, place it in a bullet loading rack, and insert a bullet in the mouth of the case.

I keep my self disciplined to that sequence. I never place a case in the press until I have a charge weighed out and waiting on the balance scale. And I never weigh out a charge while a case is in the press. That makes it pretty much impossible to double-charge a case. And by weighing out every charge I am getting very consistent amounts of powder in the cases. I imagine it takes me longer to load a hundred cases than most people.

I load Bullseye for .38/.357 using a similar method as you do and it would be difficult to double charge a case. Is there a compelling reason to use something else IMHO no. I have experienced great consistency and see no reason to change.

Good point. Addressing the double-charge issue and the consistency of the charges from case to case are critical with BE.

I've adjusted my loading process to avoid double charges. I use Lee loading dies, and pour the powder through a funnel into the expander/powder-through die. Starting with primed, resized cases, sitting primer side up in a bullet case:

1) Weigh out the charge (usually 3.5 gr BE) on my 10-10 balance scale. Yes, I weigh each charge individually.
2) Place an empty case in the press, raise it up to the top of the stroke (expander/powder-through die).
3) Pour the weighed charge into a funnel on top of the expander/powder die, into the case.
4) Remove the case, place it in a bullet loading rack, and insert a bullet in the mouth of the case.

I keep my self disciplined to that sequence. I never place a case in the press until I have a charge weighed out and waiting on the balance scale. And I never weigh out a charge while a case is in the press. That makes it pretty much impossible to double-charge a case. And by weighing out every charge I am getting very consistent amounts of powder in the cases. I imagine it takes me longer to load a hundred cases than most people.

Since you already have the powder through expansion die the next purchase I'd recommend is the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. It sits right atop the Lee die. I've bought individual Lee expansion dies for calibers that I had different brand dies so I can use the Auto Disk.

They are simply the best pistol powder measures that I've used. I have several of them that I leave setup for my most used calibers. A single one will be fine though, as they easily move from one case mouth expansion die to the next. They have been so inexpensive, that I pick them up whenever I see them on sale somewhere.

You can use the charge bar attachment and tweak the load to exactly what you want.
It's fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Lee Pro Auto Disk measures are one of the true 5 star products from any company at any price.

They really are that good.

I honestly believe the Universal powder would satisfy most shooters needs. Anyone that likes Unique and tries the Universal will usually fall in love with it.

Since you already have the powder through expansion die the next purchase I'd recommend is the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. It sits right atop the Lee die. I've bought individual Lee expansion dies for calibers that I had different brand dies so I can use the Auto Disk.

They are simply the best pistol powder measures that I've used. I have several of them that I leave setup for my most used calibers. A single one will be fine though, as they easily move from one case mouth expansion die to the next. They have been so inexpensive, that I pick them up whenever I see them on sale somewhere.

You can use the charge bar attachment and tweak the load to exactly what you want.
It's fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Lee Pro Auto Disk measures are one of the true 5 star products from any company at any price.

They really are that good.

I honestly believe the Universal powder would satisfy most shooters needs. Anyone that likes Unique and tries the Universal will usually fall in love with it.

Interesting device. It seems to be loading based on volume rather than weight. This youtube video shows it being used to load 6 grains. Actual weights ranged 5.8 to 6 grains. When working with Bullseye in the 3.5 grain range, is that degree of variation acceptable?

Also, I've been known to push the case up a couple of times into the die (sometimes it is tight removing it after the first time). That would give a double charge if each operation dropped another charge.

Last edited:
Interesting device. It seems to be loading based on volume rather than weight. This youtube video shows it being used to load 6 grains. Actual weights ranged 5.8 to 6 grains. When working with Bullseye in the 3.5 grain range, is that degree of variation acceptable?

Also, I've been known to push the case up a couple of times into the die (sometimes it is tight removing it after the first time). That would give a double charge if each operation dropped another charge.

All mechanical powder measures I'm aware of work on volume. As for the variance, that's why I don't use powders like Bullseye. Yea, it would double charge if you go up twice. I can't understand why a properly adjusted die would ever need a second pass?

All mechanical powder measures I'm aware of work on volume. As for the variance, that's why I don't use powders like Bullseye. Yea, it would double charge if you go up twice. I can't understand why a properly adjusted die would ever need a second pass?

I guess it really doesn't accomplish anything to go up a second time. What I don't understand is why it sometimes sticks on the way back down, requiring significant force to remove the case from the die.

I guess it really doesn't accomplish anything to go up a second time. What I don't understand is why it sometimes sticks on the way back down, requiring significant force to remove the case from the die.

Some cases are longer, some are thicker, some are cleaner? If the expansion die goes in that first time, it'll do the job.

I like bevel base bullets. You don't have expand the case mouth as much to get them easily started. You're also not working the brass as much, which should translate into better chambering and longer case life.

Since you're new at this, and many handgun calibers are sold with nickeled brass I'll also mention that while being nice looking, they don't tend to have a very long service life.

The nickel is harder, and doesn't take to well to being shot and sized many times before its hardness leads to cracks. Nickel being harder is also just plain harder to work with in general.

Trimming and chamfering nickel rifle cases ain't fun at all. I had one RCBS .243 rifle die that was scratched from a nickel bur. The burs shouldn't be an issue with modern carbide pistol dies, as they are much harder than steel rifle dies.

Any way enough on the nickel? If you're going to be loading handgun rounds the method you're using now is great! But it is very slow when doing more than a box or so it would become tedious for me.

I pretty much use a similar method to yours, weighing each charge for my hunting and target rifle loads. I load these usually in batches of 50. I load handgun stuff usually in batches of 100 or more, and the auto disk is a real time saver. As I've mentioned before, I had a Little Dandy from RCBS prior to finding the Lee measure. It worked great too, but it's still a separate step.

I won't encourage you to do anything that you're not comfort doing, but I can say that I wouldn't take $1000.00 for Lee measure if I knew that I couldn't get another.

Back
Top Bottom