• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it time to retire the Trijicon Acogs?

My go-to is still the ACOG (TA31, TA11, and TA44 specifically) with close runner-ups being a T-2 or EXPS3-0 with or without magnifier.

The LPVO market has grown exponentially since I last dipped my toes in it with an AccuPower 1-8. I currently have a Leupold Mark-AR Mod-1 1.5-4 with the FireDot-G SPR reticle camping in the safe, but have 0 time behind it yet.

In my limited experience with LPVOs, I've found myself wishing for more magnification and an offset RDS more often than not.

The beauty of the ACOG is the set-it-and-forget-it use case. No leveling, no finding yourself at the wrong end of the mag range, legendary reliability. I only wish Trijicon would offer a traditional mil-dot reticle option. Their cartridge-specific BDC reticles are great for what they are, but lack the versatility of a simple mil-dot setup.

If I frequented more open landscapes, I may sway towards the LPVO or high-magnification side of optic choices. Given our dense vegetation, a fixed power in that 1x to 4x range tends to get it done. Coupled with a pair of 10x or 12x binos for scanning/PID, I'm a happy dude.

I'm a HUGE LPVO slut. The Viper PST 1-6 on ADM 1.7 mounts is the bread and butter on all of our rifles past 100. We REALLY love eitechs w/ magnifiers (especially for NV), but the problem for me is seeing past 150 with a 3x. I really tried to get into prism's like the ACOG, but I never had good luck with them (-10.5/-10/5 vision). I just grabbed a UH-1 Gen 2, and on a unity riser, I'm really liking it!

Wish I still had mine! Those things bring stupid money nowadays since they've been discontinued.
I've heard great things for sure. I didn't realize they had been discontinued. The one I have came as part of a trade and is complete with box/docs/etc. and a Burris PEPR mount. All of my rifles are currently glassed but I may get a wild hair one of these days and mount it up for a test drive. I've glanced around the property with it and will say that it has very nice glass, good reticle, and solid illumination.

TA44 > any RDS ever made!
Retire the ACOG? Yeah….No.
image.jpg

1702475256213.jpeg

I’ll take an Acog any day of the week. Simple effective, can be used as a red dot, no moving parts and they’ve survived for years in service all to all branches of the .mil, That in itself says a lot about durability, and most importantly they weight a fraction of what an Lvpo weighs, which may not seem like a big deal when all you do is go to the range. Carry a rifle with one all day walking through the woods and then get back to me about how that extra pound or two doesn’t matter. Yes I have shot rifles outfitted with both

I’ll take an Acog any day of the week. Simple effective, can be used as a red dot, no moving parts and they’ve survived for years in service all to all branches of the .mil, That in itself says a lot about durability, and most importantly they weight a fraction of what an Lvpo weighs, which may not seem like a big deal when all you do is go to the range. Carry a rifle with one all day walking through the woods and then get back to me about how that extra pound or two doesn’t matter. Yes I have shot rifles outfitted with both
Extra pound or 2 for for an lpvo over an acog? That's a stretch.

I still love my Acogs, but for new rifles I have been enjoying the small PA SLX microprism. In green dot of course....

Back
Top Bottom