• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is there a 30 carbine upper?

The carbine in the link above appears to use a USGI M1 Carbine magazine.
Yeah I saw it and that's handy as hell. But they must have had to do something in the magwell to shim it up and make it work.
Not too long ago I saw a pistol from Excel Arms that's chambered in 30 Carbine and uses the surplus mags. It's pretty cool looking but very hard to find any dealers or much info on.
upload_2017-3-14_13-31-14.jpeg

I know not OTC but when I was shooting USPS open I was sending 124g bullets out at 1500 fps. 9MM major. Don't know the ft-lbs that equates to.

That's 620 ft/lbs. Even out if an 18" barrel it will not approach 967 ft/lbs.

OTC = Over The Counter. Basically, standard, factory-loaded ammunition.

Yeah I saw it and that's handy as hell. But they must have had to do something in the magwell to shim it up and make it work.
Not too long ago I saw a pistol from Excel Arms that's chambered in 30 Carbine and uses the surplus mags. It's pretty cool looking but very hard to find any dealers or much info on.View attachment 1098331

Of course it uses a modified magazine well, either manufactured that way or with a block. The one in the pic appears to be manufactured for the purpose, because I don't see pins like are used to hold the block for the 9mm versions.

Hah! I'll admit, I wasn't even aware anyone did a .30 Carbine upper or AR until now.

Personally, I don't really get it, but I've owned and built plenty of firearms over the years to satisfy a personal itch that others "didn't get". Back in the day, .30 Carbine made sense when military arms used calibers like the .30-06. We needed a compact, lightweight carbine. Nowadays, you can get a much more capable caliber; 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39mm, etc. in the same size or weight as one in .30 Carbine.

I'm a huge fan of the M1 Carbine, however.

Really I would want one in 357mag but 30 carbine close dimensionaly <not a word) and is rimless and just makes sense for fun plinking low recoil/ report.

Of course it uses a modified magazine well, either manufactured that way or with a block. The one in the pic appears to be manufactured for the purpose, because I don't see pins like are used to hold the block for the 9mm versions.

They did make a mag block for them if just the upper was purchased so M1 carbine mags could be used.

Really I would want one in 357mag but 30 carbine is rimless and just makes sense for fun plinking low recoil/ report.

Yes, doing semi-autos or bolt guns with a rimmed cartridge presents some issues. I want to build a bolt action in .375 Winchester or .444 and it's a headache.

Buddy of mine has an M2 Carbine. Loads o' fun.

Back
Top Bottom