• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It finally happened to me.

sinac84

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
187   0
Reaction score
I've been debating on weather or not I wanted to start a thread about this but I figured that there was no shame in it. More embarrassed by it but that has changed to a "lessoned learned" kinda feeling. It has and will happen to everyone of use.

So, I had my first AD last weekend.

I was at an outdoor range in a bay. Just me and Bear44. Bear 44 was about 12-15 feet to my left. I was doing some drills and became frustrated by the fact that I'm still having issues with a flinch. I emptied the magazine and for reasons unknown to me, instead dropping the magazine, racking the slide, checking to SEE if the chamber was empty, I simply pointed the gun in a safe direction (toward the large dirt berm that seprates the bays to my right) and pulled the trigger...

BANG!

Damn.

Yeah, AD. So, maybe frustration clouded my mind. Maybe I just forgot. I don't know.

I know how to clear a weapon. drop the mag, rack the slide, look to see that the chamber in empty, drop the slide , point in a safe direct, pull the trigger, holster the weapon.

So, what did I learn from this? slow the -F- down, think it through... drop the mag, rack the slide, look to see that the chamber in empty, drop the slide , point in a safe direct, pull the trigger, holster the weapon.

drop the mag, rack the slide, look to see that the chamber in empty, drop the slide , point in a safe direct, pull the trigger, holster the weapon.

drop the mag, rack the slide, look to see that the chamber in empty, drop the slide , point in a safe direct, pull the trigger, holster the weapon.

Last edited:
It was at the range, in a shooting bay. I was at the firing line and I had pointed my weapon at the dirt berm about 8 feet away from me.

So yeah, in a safe, controlled environment.

I edited my first post to say that I was at an outdoor range.

I'm always so careful at home when I do empty my weapon to do some dry firing. I'm glad it happened at the range than in my house.

Last edited:
glad your ok ...... and this WILL be a learning experience !!

and just a question here ....... when you rack the slide ..........you dont let it go with the slide release on an empty chamber do you ??

and just a question here ....... when you rack the slide ..........you dont let it go with the slide release on an empty chamber do you ??

Is this directed at me? :)

I rack the slide back letting it catch on the release notch, then when I've confirmed the chamber is empty I use the slide stop to release the slide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom