• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It finally happened to me.

"I was doing some drills and became frustrated by the fact that I'm still having issues with a flinch."

Have you & "bear" worked on curing that using some "dummy rounds"?

Alot of times lots of dryfire & several "ball & dummy" drills help reduce/eliminate flinching.

As regards to trying to go fast, I bet "bear" told you, "slow becomes smooth.... smooth becomes fast."

Everybody wants to be "high speed-low drag" but until you master those pesky fundamentals, speed will work against you.

You'll get it. Thankfully you followed Safety Rule # 2. At least that part was a success. Saved you from hurting yourself or someone else.
Very sobering. Glad you & those around you are ok.

Last edited:
"I was doing some drills and became frustrated by the fact that I'm still having issues with a flinch."

Have you & "bear" worked on curing that using some "dummy rounds"?

Alot of times lots of dryfire & several "ball & dummy" drills help reduce/eliminate flinching.

Been working on that. Also, we found that the Hogue grip with the finger grooves was causing me to change the way I grip the gun, thus making me have to reposition my hands alot when shooting. I do alot of practice with my Buckmark and have little to no flinching issue at all. But when I start shooting the .45acp, flinch comes back. Need to practice more with the .45acp.

However, anyone that knows me will tell you that I will do anything and everything in my power to learn to do something well if it gives me trouble and I want to do it well. Like, shoot a .45acp without flinching. I've been working on this issue for a year now and the .22lr work has helped but hasn't cured it yet. I will get it figured out, damnit.

Last edited:
Been working on that. Also, we found that the Hogue grip with the finger grooves was causing me to change the way I grip the gun, thus making me have to reposition my hands alot when shooting. I do alot of practice with my Buckmark and have little to no flinching issue at all. But when I start shooting the .45acp, flinch comes back. Need to practice more with the .45acp.

However, anyone that knows me will tell you that I will do anything and everything in my power to learn to do something well if it gives me trouble and I want to do it well. Like, shoot a .45acp without flinching. I've been working on this issue for a year now and the .22lr work has helped but hasn't cured it yet. I will get it figured out, damnit.

Had a student today who had a terrible flinch & finally worked it out by shooting a bunch of rounds pretty quickly (unorthodox, but worked for them) & also by holding the trigger to the rear after firing then slowly releasing back to the reset point to program their mind/body to be still (followthrough).
After a few drills, the flinch resolved itself.
I'm sure you'll get it.

Back
Top Bottom