• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I've changed my way of thinking, regarding the 2A

cskiles

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
25   0
Reaction score
A few days ago I posted in a thread –

“In most instances, I am all for letting “Darwin” take care of stupid people but it is far too simple for a stupid person with a weapon to inflict damage on those around him. I personally believe that EVERYONE should be able to own a weapon but I believe that in order to carry a weapon an individual should be required to attend some type of training and pass a qualification. I don’t want the government to be involved in my 2A rights but I also don’t want idiots and a**hats to be able to walk around with a weapon that they may or may not know how to use”.

Soon after I posted, GeauxLSU GeauxLSU pointed out the irony in my statement – any government involvement is too much involvement. I’ll be the first to say that I don’t like to be called out, especially not by someone that isn’t standing in front of me. My first instinct was that I wanted to snatch him up by the throat but as much as I hate to say it…his statement got me thinking. I spent several hours last night re-reading and contemplating the second amendment, although it is not very lengthy, it speaks volumes.

“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

The phrase “shall not be infringed” is a pretty simple and direct statement, and although the concept is easy to understand the implications are huge. For my entire life their have always been gun laws and stipulations on gun ownership, I am not a liberal, but being raised in a liberal society I think I just became accustomed to government involvement.

After a lot of deliberation I have decided that adherence to this amendment is in fact - all or nothing. I choose all.

Thanks GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

10422200_10154906207135570_5698820061527114436_n-jpg.575241

The Government can and absolutely has the right to limit and infringe on the second amendment. Namely, while the 2A says "shall not be infringed" it says nothing about the age limit. So do you support 6 year olds walking around with guns?
This argument didn't come out of LEFT field.

Back
Top Bottom