• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I've changed my way of thinking, regarding the 2A

The Government can and absolutely has the right to limit and infringe on the second amendment. Namely, while the 2A says "shall not be infringed" it says nothing about the age limit. So do you support 6 year olds walking around with guns?
I actually mentioned something similar to that in my original post but I came to the logical conclusion that it is an all or nothing deal. I don't think that folks without proper training should carry a weapon but I have decided that it is not the governments place to intervene, it is the responsibility of each gun owner/parent/individual to become familiar with their weapon. No doubt that their will be asshats that make stupid mistakes but that's just part of it.

My realization was that if you allow even a small amount of government involvement, you open the door to far more.

The Government can and absolutely has the right to limit and infringe on the second amendment. Namely, while the 2A says "shall not be infringed" it says nothing about the age limit. So do you support 6 year olds walking around with guns?

I don't know about the OP, but I support parents knowing what their 6 year olds are doing.

And it wasn't really that long ago that in the city limits of Atlanta a child could walk into any hardware store and purchase a gun or ammo. It didn't result in mass murder, accidents or insurrection.

We need smarter kids, not dumber laws.

I don't know about the OP, but I support parents knowing what their 6 year olds are doing.

And it wasn't really that long ago that in the city limits of Atlanta a child could walk into any hardware store and purchase a gun or ammo. It didn't result in mass murder, accidents or insurrection.

We need smarter kids, not dumber laws.
And you think society has produced smarter, more responsible kids? LOL.

And you think society has produced smarter, more responsible kids? LOL.
The trouble with our society is that it has ruled out the natural selection process. Stupid people use to die because they were stupid. Now we have laws that protect stupid people from themselves. I would prefer to see more six year olds with guns. Then maybe we can get back to the natural selection process.

Now think about this, where do you stand on felons owning firearms? The way I see it is if they are able to walk among us as free men they should be able to own a gun.:pop2:
Yep either keep em locked up permanently or give them the same rights as everyone else.

... it is the responsibility of each gun owner/parent/individual to become familiar with their weapon. QUOTE]

ding! ding! ding! That's the winning statement.
Absolute individual freedom and absolute personal responsibility.

If you have it, it's your complete responsibility to handle it properly, and to prevent it's misuse. If you or someone else encroached on another's individual freedom, then you shall pay in extremis for the infraction of violating their freedom.

A few days ago I posted in a thread –

“In most instances, I am all for letting “Darwin” take care of stupid people but it is far too simple for a stupid person with a weapon to inflict damage on those around him. I personally believe that EVERYONE should be able to own a weapon but I believe that in order to carry a weapon an individual should be required to attend some type of training and pass a qualification. I don’t want the government to be involved in my 2A rights but I also don’t want idiots and a**hats to be able to walk around with a weapon that they may or may not know how to use”.

Soon after I posted, GeauxLSU GeauxLSU pointed out the irony in my statement – any government involvement is too much involvement. I’ll be the first to say that I don’t like to be called out, especially not by someone that isn’t standing in front of me. My first instinct was that I wanted to snatch him up by the throat but as much as I hate to say it…his statement got me thinking. I spent several hours last night re-reading and contemplating the second amendment, although it is not very lengthy, it speaks volumes.

“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

The phrase “shall not be infringed” is a pretty simple and direct statement, and although the concept is easy to understand the implications are huge. For my entire life their have always been gun laws and stipulations on gun ownership, I am not a liberal, but being raised in a liberal society I think I just became accustomed to government involvement.

After a lot of deliberation I have decided that adherence to this amendment is in fact - all or nothing. I choose all.

Thanks GeauxLSU GeauxLSU
Wow. Well, some thoughts....
1) It's the internet. It's hard to have conversations much less debates typing text back and forth so KUDOS TO YOU for taking a breath and apparently genuinely attempting to reconsider a point of view. Hopefully a lot of us do it (I definitely do) but admitting it is an extra step beyond we can all (myself included) learn from.
2) This is (obviously) a gun site. While it would be great if we could all be of one mind obviously we aren't. That doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge each other on at the very least, the 2A, to get there. We are out funded in the court of public opinion courtesy of the media so consistent, logical, defense of the 2A is critical and while it feels like an uphill battle, we can make progress. We just need all the help we can get.
3) Your statement about being raised in a liberal society is very VERY indicative of the challenge Constitutionalists and freedom in this country face. Minds aren't being lost to the left, they were never in the right place to begin with because they've never seen it in action and surely have no reason to study it.
4) It's not about hunting, it's not about thugs committing home invasions, it's about defense against tyranny. When you consider the reality the founders were living in it's very obvious why the 2A is there and all we need is to look around the globe if we ever think "Well that was then, we're good now".
5) I'm wrong about a lot of things, I just don't think the 2A is one of them and honestly, like you, conversations with some folks here helped clarify my own thoughts on the matter. There is more than one type of 'strength' in numbers.
6) Again, it's the internet. I try not to make, or take (unless obviously intended to be so) anything personal. So thanks for not snatching me up by the throat. It would have hurt my feelings.
Now, support your favorite 2A defense group(s) and keep up the good fight! Glad to have you fully on the team. :clap2:

Back
Top Bottom