• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jumper cable issue

I tried using the cheaper cables for years. Then I finally wised up and got some that are 20 ft long, good flexible copper with a thick covering and clamps that are well insulated copper and fixed firmly to the cables. All this stays in my truck in its tote bag. They're long enough to go one car/truck over in a parking lot for a jump.

Did change trucks several times a day. They've been in a storage building for years. I wasn't asking if I should keep em or toss em, just if anyone had a good idea on how to "refurbish" them. I really have no plan on tossing them and I currently have everything needed to make the last another 15-20 years. I figured more folks used stuff till they need attention. When they went in the building, they weren't dry rotted this way. I have 4 or 5 pairs of good cables but they rarely get used as a nice NOCO jump box will handle most anything up to a big rig. This is a tinkering project that I don't intend to spend anything on other than the stuff I already have.
Yall would stroke out if you seen the hammers and prybars I still use, maybe I'll take b a few pictures this weekend when I'm back working in my 6 acre shop. No ac, no heat, no walls, and no roof..
I should start a go fund me for a class on taking care of stuff??
I had a set just like that, good heavy cables that you don’t have to leave connected for them to charge.
Can’t remember if they were NAPA or Carquest before the merge.
But had them at least 25 years, a new set of clamps once, and numerous vehicles. Think I paid about $46 way back then.
I actually gave them away a few days ago, but they were not as bad as that.

Heck, I have 100' of 2'0 cable but these need to be at least 4'0.
I'm not saying 2ga vs 4ga, this is the size that most folks have run to their house from the transformer. If I wake up early enough today I'll cut a piece of 2ga and lay it beside these and it'll help in comparison..
Those look like 4 or smaller. 2 is bigger and will transfer more amperage, which what make the difference between a quick jump and a quicker jump.
All mine are 2guage as I never know when I make have to jump mine or a buddies truck.
I think the thread title should be "Care and storage issue."

Good grief.

I've got the same pair of cables I bought in high school. Still have the heavy duty plastic bag they have ridden in their entire life. Been to Maine, the Keys, and Texas. Transferred between a dozen of so vehicles. Jumped off countless RV's, cars, trucks, even a tractor and one back hoe. Always wiped down and put back in the bag. What's the saying? An ounce of prevention, something, something, something
if you ever actually have to use them you would throw away the bag, unless it’s the cheap asssed “rev the motor higher for twenty minutes” quality of cables.

Funny thing is I almost never have to use them for my own vehicles. But when I do, I want them to work superbly.

If you want to flex over jumper cables, have at it, I guess? :noidea:
LOL I hear ya, but if you have to use them regularly, you’ll never buy the cheap ones again. But you forget, you were the one flexing on how YOU kept your stuff in pristine shape and others were negligent.
It’s just the internet…

Those look like 4 or smaller. 2 is bigger and will transfer more amperage, which what make the difference between a quick jump and a quicker jump.
All mine are 2guage as I never know when I make have to jump mine or a buddies truck.

if you ever actually have to use them you would throw away the bag, unless it’s the cheap asssed “rev the motor higher for twenty minutes” quality of cables.

Funny thing is I almost never have to use them for my own vehicles. But when I do, I want them to work superbly.
speaking of revving the motor. I NEVER do that on providing a jump. I leave my car off and only provide the battery power. I'm not putting my running alternator in the mix of a potential mishap..... just sayin'

speaking of revving the motor. I NEVER do that on providing a jump. I leave my car off and only provide the battery power. I'm not putting my running alternator in the mix of a potential mishap..... just sayin'
That is a real possibility, many companies and municipalities prohibit their employees from providing jumps to a vehicle they don’t own.

Back
Top Bottom