just heard james brady died

Actually, that happens fairly often when a victim of an injury dies well after the fact. This is admitedly an extreme case and yes.... fits right in with Mr. Brady's "legacy".

Remember talking about this in law school, but I don't recall ever seeing ti happen other than in a textbook - not saying it hasn't, but I have not seen it.

The causation issue would be pretty hard to get over. Oh, and the "you are a stupid turd, Mr. Prosecutor" factor. Then again, consider the location.

Remember talking about this in law school, but I don't recall ever seeing ti happen other than in a textbook - not saying it hasn't, but I have not seen it.

The causation issue would be pretty hard to get over. Oh, and the "you are a stupid turd, Mr. Prosecutor" factor. Then again, consider the location.
To be clear, I didn't mean a full third of a CENTURY after the fact was common. ;) That's why I said 'techinically'. I just meant when an injured party dies as a result of their injury inflicted by another, it is homocide by definition. In the link the prosecutor has rightfully said it's not worth trying.
But people have and do get charged for 'murder' even though death wasn't instantaneous. Sometimes it's hours, days, weeks or more. Would be interesting to know what the longest gap was where someone was actually convicted.

To be clear, I didn't mean a full third of a CENTURY after the fact was common. ;) That's why I said 'techinically'. I just meant when an injured party dies as a result of their injury inflicted by another, it is homocide by definition. In the link the prosecutor has rightfully said it's not worth trying.
But people have and do get charged for 'murder' even though death wasn't instantaneous. Sometimes it's hours, days, weeks or more. Would be interesting to know what the longest gap was where someone was actually convicted.

I remember in FL our uniform traffic citations had a 'Fatal? (90 days) - Y/N' portion you had to circle when the citation was for an accident. Fatal? (33 years) might be a stretch.

Oh, yeah - no doubt it can be days, weeks, or perhaps even year(s). I know we studied some cases where the interval was quite long.

It would be interesting to see what the longest interval was. Might do a little Google fu tonight.

Oh, yeah - no doubt it can be days, weeks, or perhaps even year(s). I know we studied some cases where the interval was quite long.

It would be interesting to see what the longest interval was. Might do a little Google fu tonight.
My initial efforts are a failure. But it did bring me to some very depressing stories so that was fun.... :grey:

Back
Top Bottom