• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kawasaki 220 4 wheeler Skipping....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Trying to figure this one out....

Idles perfect. Runs fine up to about 1/2 rpm..... Once I go higher than that, skips bad.

Once I run it a while, it stops skipping altogether and gives good power the whole way.

I'm not sure whether it could be a stick valve or a carb problem.... Ideas?

is it hard starting cold/hot? does it tick?
check valve clearance. you can also run marvel mystery oil thru it(for carbon build up). avoid sea foam!!!! its just glorified alcohol. you can run around 1 oz per gallon of the marvel, if you run more it will just smoke a little. its oil based so no need to worry about leaning out the fuel and burning a valve like sea foam.

is it hard starting cold/hot? does it tick?
check valve clearance. you can also run marvel mystery oil thru it(for carbon build up). avoid sea foam!!!! its just glorified alcohol. you can run around 1 oz per gallon of the marvel, if you run more it will just smoke a little. its oil based so no need to worry about leaning out the fuel and burning a valve like sea foam.

I'll give that a shot.

Been putting a little Lucas in there for a while, but maybe MMO is better for such things.

Starts fine.

Most of the time if I'm having problems like that, I can take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning and it'll take care of it. Pay special attention to the jets and make sure that they're completely clear of all debris.

Also, only run non-ethanol gas if possible. I went through a carb on a Honda Recon awhile back that had been sitting for about two years with ethanol gas in it. That damn thing was AWEFUL! I finally got it cleaned out and running right, but it took some doing.

Now, whenever I park mine I turn the petcock to "off" and let it sit and idle until it burns all the gas in the bowl and dies. I do this whether it's got non-ethanol in it or not.

star
Check your spark,coil/stator could be goin out
stators drop out completely most of the time. no charging. the ignition p/u and coil rarely ever go out. in 11 years i think i have only replaced 2 or 3 coils, and only a half dozen or so p/u's. could be a ground problem, but that usually shows itself with lighting flashing, and backfiring.
most likely valves or carb. marvel will help the carb, only a wrench for the valves..

something else, kinda stupid. check your airbox/filter.. i had a guy with a 1100 shadow with the same problem a while back. turned out he added led lights with a remote. the receiver box was under the seat, as he would ride it would run good, then cut out, then run good again. the box was bouncing around and blocking the airbox..

star
stators drop out completely most of the time. no charging. the ignition p/u and coil rarely ever go out. in 11 years i think i have only replaced 2 or 3 coils, and only a half dozen or so p/u's. could be a ground problem, but that usually shows itself with lighting flashing, and backfiring.
mast likely valves or carb. marvel will help the carb, only a wrench for the valves..
This
AND pull the spark plug to see what it looks like, clean, etc.

something else, kinda stupid. check your airbox/filter.. i had a guy with a 1100 shadow with the same problem a while back. turned out he added led lights with a remote. the receiver box was under the seat, as he would ride it would run good, then cut out, then run good again. the box was bouncing around and blocking the airbox..
Hahaha! That's crazy! I would've NEVER figured that one out!

Thanks for all the ideas!

May be a few days before I can check it out good, but I bet something y'all have suggested will solve it!

Back
Top Bottom