• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kia Telluride?

Wife is working on her 3rd RAV4 (hybrid this time) and loves them. Hard to beat Toyota and Honda on ease of ownership. I drive a 19 Ridgeline with 50k now and basic maintenance is all I have done to it. After the way Ford treated us on our last vehicle, they are a NO-GO regardless of price. It had more issues than Microsoft 3.0 and Ford said sorry, your problem.

I drove several when I worked at the port of Brunswick. I liked the interior layout and the fact that they weren't just another rounded off SUV that looks like everything else.
Now mechanically... I really can't say. I have a 2010 Soul that has burned me on ever buying another Kia. Other folks have had better luck with the Sorrento and the minivan. Yeah the Sedona is the name. It got very good reviews over the years even when Kia's sales numbers were alnost bad enough to leave the U.S. market.
If you just have to buy a Telluride I would suggest buying it used as in like a lease turn in. That way it's already taken the big depreciation dip.
The first time I actually heard of a Telluride was in that thread where you took pictures sitting in one. I thought then (still do) that they were good looking cars. I'm not sure about spending that much money on a Kia. If I'm spending a bunch of money, I'd rather it be on a Toyota. I got her to looking at new Highlanders and it may be easier than I thought to sway her.

I purchased my wife a loaded Telluride (not AWD) new two years ago coming up on 50k. No problems whatever. Great car and I highly doubt a Highlander could compare.

When it goes over 100k without needing something major or constant attention, get back to us. I know more than one person with Toyota with will over 200k still on the road with no issues. One coworker finally parked his 2000 PreRunner when it hit 490k because his wife wanted something else, and it was still doing everything it was supposed to and he only ever had to do regular maintenance. When I asked my mechanic what vehicle he'd buy a couple of years ago, he said "I spend all day dealing with other peoples car problems, I have 4 Toyota's because I don't like having my own car problems to deal with".

It's probably worth mentioning that neither of us have ever bought a new vehicle. Always used. This would be a huge first for us. The only part that's appealing to me is having a car with a warranty. With her luck with vehicles, that's a VERY big selling point.

When it goes over 100k without needing something major or constant attention, get back to us. I know more than one person with Toyota with will over 200k still on the road with no issues. One coworker finally parked his 2000 PreRunner when it hit 490k because his wife wanted something else, and it was still doing everything it was supposed to and he only ever had to do regular maintenance. When I asked my mechanic what vehicle he'd buy a couple of years ago, he said "I spend all day dealing with other peoples car problems, I have 4 Toyota's because I don't like having my own car problems to deal with".
I plan on driving my 06 Tundra until the wheels fall off. Then I may just buy new ones and keep going a little longer.

I plan on driving my 06 Tundra until the wheels fall off. Then I may just buy new ones and keep going a little longer.

That's what I plan do to with my current 15 Toyota Rav4. I put over 260K each on several GM's in the 90's into the early 2000's, last one (a 2005) didn't make it to 140k. Toyota and Honda are the only brands right now that have the reputation to keep running. Everything else starts to get needy and problematic when they hit 100k.

2nd Gen highlanders (08-14) we’re very nice and built well, looked great and modern after 2012 facelift and road noise was at a minimum.

3rd Gen Highlanders didn’t really have any improvements and a few interior items were cheapened up. Then last year’s 4th Gen seems to really be a meh and comfort is at a minimum.

RAV4 has been on an up-hill trajectory with larger size and more amenities and is a better value (vs Highlander) if 3rd seat isn’t priority

The dealer really wants me to trade in my 15 Rav4 because they can't keep them on the lot new or used. I could pretty much get back what I paid for it now and get into something bigger. I just don't need it, and I like the one I have.

That's what I plan do to with my current 15 Toyota Rav4. I put over 260K each on several GM's in the 90's into the early 2000's, last one (a 2005) didn't make it to 140k. Toyota and Honda are the only brands right now that have the reputation to keep running. Everything else starts to get needy and problematic when they hit 100k.
My brother has a Tacoma with well over 400k miles. Still has the original engine and trans. That's a pretty good testimony.

Back
Top Bottom