• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kicking the hornet's nest, 40 S&W or 9mm for home defense

40 S&W or 9MM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I decide on home defense weapons based on the following:

1. Can all trained shooters in the household easily operate the weapon?
2. Can it be grabbed quickly in an emergency?
3. Is it dependable and a good quality weapon?

This criteria does limit the "primary" weapon assigned the task of home defense. My wife really likes to shoot her Beretta 92fs "Police Special" 9mm so that is the primary home defense weapon in the house. While I do have a lot of other choices, loaded and ready to be used, the Beretta 9mm is what she has practiced to use in an emergency. I, being more comfortable with long guns, would initially grab my compact 9mm and have it ready to use while I went for either the 12 Gauge or the AR15 to be used as my main weapon.

We don't have .40 S&W pistols. I personally think they have too much recoil and have heard too many stories about pistol actions failing from overpressure situations.

Last edited:
The .40 is the far superior round as a manstopper, in my opinion. I've owned a couple of 9mm pistols and one .40 cal. I've tested them by shooting jugs of water, buckets of river mud, and boxes full of soaked-wet newspaper. The .40 is wider to start with, opens wider on impact (with good quality HP ammo), and drives significantly deeper into the stuff you're shooting.

But it's got more recoil and muzzle flip, which is why my DAILY CARRY gun, a compact model with a short barrel and tiny grip that leaves my pinky finger unsupported, is a 9mm.
I tested .40 pistols in that small size and didn't like how they handled rapid fire, especially one-hand rapid fire.

For a FULL SIZE pistol intended for home defense or "car carry" not daily on-your-body carry, then I'd take the .40 S&W.

Back
Top Bottom