• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber Rust Issues?

Kimber barrels do have that issue if you don't heavy oil them.

I have owned several of the Kimbers .. all the "Newer" ones... never had an issue..

Although I own Springfield's now. I wouldn't hesitate to own another Kimber any more then I would own a another Colt or SF.

But I wouldn't buy a rusted new gun... and before any says anything else.. Dawsonville gun has a new SF stainless loaded model eith rust on the slide... it happens to any gun that you don't treat right.

Here's my old Kimber barrel after 6 months. Kept in a safe and oiled down before I put it there and it rusted anyways. Kimber pretty much told me to go **** myself when I called them to see what they would do about it. I still own one Kimber but I will never own another.

i606.photobucket.com_albums_tt141_2001SportTJ_bde0c5a3_1_1.jpg

Yeah that would piss me off. Luckily I've never had an issue with any of the 3 Kimbers I've owned. No rust or anything else.

Amen.
FPS, MIM, and they look like a melted bar of soap.

FWIW, they were always full of MIM parts and actually used to brag in their product literature about being innovators in the metal-injection molding process. Also, the first generation CDP models (the "melted bar of soap" guns) were MUCH more rounded than the Series II versions.

The early guns were generally nice, well-built guns...but the Series II guns are definitely hit-or-miss. My early Pro CDP was a great gun, but the Stainless Pro Carry II I bought in 2002 was a complete POS. Poorly fitted parts, oversized holes, parts breakages, etc.

I'll never buy another one, and if someone were to give me a brand new one, I'd trade it for something else.

Last edited:
Their barrels are in the "white" as started above and will rust if not taken care of. I love my Kimber and also my Dan Wesson. 1911's are not tupperware guns and do require some extra care. Same way that they require practice due to the sliding trigger instead of the hinged trigger on most guns.

Their barrels are in the "white" as started above and will rust if not taken care of. I love my Kimber and also my Dan Wesson. 1911's are not tupperware guns and do require some extra care. Same way that they require practice due to the sliding trigger instead of the hinged trigger on most guns.

They require SUBSTANTIALLY more care than a standard 1911. If it ain't dripping, its GOING to rust!

I had an issue. Kimber took care of it. I never once got it rusted again. Kimber requires a little bit more attention. You can't just put it in your safe without having silicone gels.

My Kimber barrels must be messed up, I use a light coat of oil only and they have never rusted. As far as MIM goes, they all use them. Springfield uses them in all their 1911's. Some hate Kimber and love to bash, I've never had a problem with them so I am in the other group. Only one I've ever had trouble with was a Springfiled Loaded, it's fixed now but I have never felt the need to bash them for the problems I had.

Back
Top Bottom