• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Late food plot suggestions

ltfirhunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
86   1
Reaction score
What can I plant this late for food plots.
Haven't been able to get out and do much this year due to some health problems, but be getting some help with getting something planted .
What do you recommend?

Due to the normal lack or rain and army worms, we started planting the first week of Sept. several years ago. Plots are good by rifle season. We plant a 50/50 mix of wheat & Harrison oats and then add a few pounds of rape seed. That rape seed goes a long way.

Potatoes do very well in the cooler climate, or at least they have for me. Cant get them to grow in the summer, but the russets grow like wildfire in the fall\winter

Depends on the size...

Smaller plots (less than an acre). You will need plants that grow quickly and can withstand heavy browse. I would suggest mostly oats with clover (if you do a perennial, plant a section or the perimeter). Feel free to mix in some winter peas, turnips, rape, and / or radishes - just don't expect them to do much as the deer will keep them eaten down.

Larger plots (an acre or more). It's hard to beat this mix: oats, diakon radish, durana white clover, red clover, arrowleaf clover, rape, kale, turnips - the idea here is that the oats will fill in fast and will withstand heavy browse, the clovers will do the same. Since this is a larger plot with more to eat, the other plants will have a better chance of growing/maturing.

In MS, I have two small plots (almost an acre between both). All I plant is oats, clover and radish.

At my club in GA, we have 15 plots that range from 1/2 acre to 2 acres. We've had good results in sticking with oats and clover in the smaller plots and more of a variety in the larger ones.

Also, it you haven't done a soil test, it's worth it-can be the difference between a lush plot and a barren one.

One other note, it you buy a seed blend (like you get at Walmart or cabelas) look at the label to see the contents - a lot of those will have a high percentage of inert matter (worthless). I would buy from a seed store / Coop; that stuff at the retail store with big bucks on the package is mostly junk.

Back
Top Bottom