• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Late night success! - Updated and have question

drsmile

Default rank <2000 posts Sponsor
Master Extractor
162   0
Reaction score
It’s 1:15am and we are awoken to some excited barks and yips behind the house. My fence alarm goes off. I jump out of bed – rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I try to find my shoes. I grab my rifle off the bartop – throw in a mag and let the sound of the bolt slamming home give me the jolt I need to wakeup. I quietly open the kitchen door, step onto the deck into the hazy, moisture-laden moonlight. The fog is thick – but my Streamlight Strion can burn through the thickest of watervapor. I light up the lane and 6 glowing green eyes fixate on me. For whatever reason my Millet 1-4 DMS scope on top of my 10” 300blk AR automatically swung to a large female – it was magnetic how it happened. As my check welded to the stock and my shoulder grasped the buttstock like a lion does his prey, my ½ asleep brain told my finger to quickly press on my 3lb Timney trigger. The violence was over. There, 50 yards from my muzzle lay a slain coyote. In the flash of a second the battle with my white whale was over.

So I went down grabbed her – wife took some pics and put her on ice to skin this afternoon.

The adrenaline crash will hit me around 2 this afternoon I expect... And yes - those are my PJ's :)

UPDATED - the new Resident Evil pic! Skinned it out last night. First skin job I have ever done, so I decided to do it the old fashoined way with my hands and a blade before using a compressor or lawn mower. It was more work than I want to do again, but next time should be easier with the little knowledge I gained on this one. I want to tan the hide - I have it the fridge right now - anyone have some tips and help me with tanning?

The "alarm" was a simple motion sensor I got here: http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html
It is not weather rated, so I simply took some silicone and sealed up the seams and it works perfectly. I just put it out near the coop and viola... It was the noise the pack was making that woke us up and got my dogs going in the basement, but when the alarm chimed - I knew exactly where they were.

yote03.jpgyote02.jpgYote01.jpg

Attachments

• resident evil.jpg
    resident evil.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Nice. So you used supersonic ammo. I say that b/c I do not see a suppressor on that SBR. Let me know, I am thinking about using suppressed blackout to go on a coyote massacre.

Nice. So you used supersonic ammo. I say that b/c I do not see a suppressor on that SBR. Let me know, I am thinking about using suppressed blackout to go on a coyote massacre.

Do your homework on that. As far as I know - no hunting suppressed in GA, yet... I used a 208gr Hornady vMax subsonic round on this coyote. Penetration with 300blk is excellent, but the energy does not create a massive exit wound therby keeping hides and pelts nice (unlike 22-250 and others).

Back
Top Bottom