• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal Shooting Distance on Property

Some cities/towns have no restrictions.We used to shoot doves inside the city limits of Villa Rica.Per the chief of police,at that time,there was no ordinance.This was early 90s.

State law supersedes city or local ordnances... however that does not mean that all cities or counties enforce them.
I'm sure many do not, but it is still against state law.

Do you live inside the city limits in White? If so, they may have local ordinances that you have to follow. Otherwise, call up the Sheriffs Dept and talk to them.

I live outside city limits. I use to shoot my AR back here before I sold it and no one has complained yet. My neighbors dove hunt across the street every year. There's usually 4-5 of them with shotguns. I'll call the county and ask.

Sec. 3-4-207. Discharging firearms.
It shall be unlawful to discharge a firearm
(1) Within fifty (50) yards of a public roadway;
(2) Within two hundred (200) yards of the dwelling house of another;
(3) Within any zoning district zoned and developed for residential purposes (except R-A zoning); or
(4) In such a manner as to endanger another's life, limb or property.
(Ord. No. 82-10, § 18, 7-20-82; Ord. No. 89-13, 8-1-89)

State preemption of local laws only applies to the carrying, transportation, and purchase of firearms, but does not apply to discharge. According to subsection (e) below municipalities may prohibit discharge.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-173

Legislative findings; preemption of local regulation and lawsuits; exceptions

(a)(1) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general, state-wide concern.

(2) The General Assembly further declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture, and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public is not unreasonably dangerous activity and does not constitute a nuisance per se.
(b)(1) No county or municipal corporation, by zoning or by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows; the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, or registration of firearms or components of firearms; firearms dealers; or dealers in firearms components.

(2) The authority to bring suit and right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association, or dealer by or on behalf of any governmental unit created by or pursuant to an Act of the General Assembly or the Constitution, or any department, agency, or authority thereof, for damages, abatement, or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public shall be reserved exclusively to the state. This paragraph shall not prohibit a political subdivision or local government authority from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or express warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision or local government authority.

(c) A county or municipal corporation may regulate the transport, carrying, or possession of firearms by employees of the local unit of government in the course of their employment with such local unit of government.

(d) Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from requiring the ownership of guns by heads of households within the political subdivision.

(e) Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the municipal corporation or county.

Sec. 3-4-207. Discharging firearms.
It shall be unlawful to discharge a firearm
(1) Within fifty (50) yards of a public roadway;
(2) Within two hundred (200) yards of the dwelling house of another;
(3) Within any zoning district zoned and developed for residential purposes (except R-A zoning); or
(4) In such a manner as to endanger another's life, limb or property.
(Ord. No. 82-10, § 18, 7-20-82; Ord. No. 89-13, 8-1-89)

That's Henry County code, does Bartow have the same? I don't see any such thing here http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14320

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom