Legal stance on defending with deadly force...

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
If it was a human, its reasonable but what about a family DOG? What if someone is trying to kill your dog, cat, fish, bird, lizard ect....

Considered property so not justified.

Hard to believe for many. Now if the antagonist turns w/ a weapon & threatens the pets owner during the incident putting them at risk, could be a whole 'nother story.

Last edited:
Considered property so not justified.

Hard to believe for many. Now if the antagonist turns w/ a weapon & threatens the pets owner during the incident putting them at risk, could be a whole 'nother story.

Yeah was curious since I know America cherish dogs/cats while other countries eat them. :[

Now I know if you were threatening a police K9, you would get shot. LOL.

Ask how many pet owners would pull the trigger to protect their pets from a violent attack. Some may not admit it but I feel many would not feel a moment's remorse. And I honestly don't blame them. May not be justified, might even get you arrested, but I still sympathize. If its an armed suspect and an unprovoked attack, and I'm close enough to make the shot, then I'm liking my chances of justifying the shot. YMMV.

EDIT: Also, I'm wondering if in some states deadly force would be justified in defense of livestock. I know they all vary but I'm fairly sure that Texas allows use of force in defense of property in certain situations. Also, in SC at least, the Castle Doctrine would probably lend you some protection if it occurred at your home, your place of business or in your vehicle.

Last edited:
would pull the trigger to protect their pets from a violent attack. would not feel a moment's remorse. If its an armed suspect and an unprovoked attack, and I'm close enough to make the shot, then I'm liking my chances of justifying the shot. YMMV.
This. Definitely. Without hesitation.

Last edited:
13 years ago I was working in a small town east of Atlanta. Had 2 dogs go after my pets, then after my wife, but she got in the house before they got her. She called me and I headed home. I called 911 and told them what happened. They asked if I was armed, and I said yes. Lady told me I had the go ahead if my family was threatened...

If you use deadly force on someone attempting to kill an animal,in Georgia,you will pay the price.You will come to regret it.Deadly force is only recognized as a deterrent to prevent death or severe injury to a human.If you are not willing to accept this,you should not have a weapons license.

Back
Top Bottom