Legal stance on defending with deadly force...

Shooting someone over property is honestly a bad decision. Yes, it would royally piss me off hearing the Guy ransacking my living room and stealing things I worked hard to buy. My kids would be freaked out by the event, and it would definitley traumatize them hearing a criminal kill our dog. As much as I love animals, they're not people. Yes, they may be family to me, but not worth killing someone over. Neither is my TV. Take it, and gtfo! Ill stay with my wife and children armed and on the defensive with Leo en route. If they become an immediate threat to my family, things will change and I will use full lethal force to protect my children. But my children are very very young. one is 7 going on 8, one is 15 months. The last thing in the world I want them to hear is the sound of several hornadys serving their intended purpose. The last sight I want my children to see is bloody walls and carpet, with a deceased man with a massive hole in his head. The last thing I want my children see happen to me is for me to nearly get killed while dealing with the intruder. The last thing I want my family to go through is a long investigation, several court hearings, the stress and anxiety of proving innocense. Sorry, but a flat screen ain't worth that, neither is a dog. At the end of the day, I have to think about what's best for my children and my wife, I can buy a new puppy, insurance will replace the TV, but nothing will erase the trauma caused from the event. Only when absolutely necessary will I shoot.

I agree that's the reality and truth of it as I know it too.. Unfortunately this also means the bad guy may walk and harm someone else, but that would neither be "here nor there " in that senerio.

And yes there is a threshold..how we are to determine where/what that is can only remain to be seen. Its all about the safety of my family..

I agree that's the reality and truth of it as I know it too.. Unfortunately this also means the bad guy may walk and harm someone else, but that would neither be "here nor there " in that senerio.

And yes there is a threshold..how we are to determine where/what that is can only remain to be seen. Its all about the safety of my family..

I know the threshold in Illinois, Care to guess?

I don't have a gun to be a police officer. There the ones that are to catch the bad guys and put them behind bars. My gun is for self defense. As far as threshholds go, that's your call. To me, as soon as they come through the door to the room I'm in, hell is breaking loose. By looking for the badguys, you have to leave your family, so if other bgs are there, that means you've left them unguarded. My threshhold is the door to the bedroom.I'm guarding, which probably will have a dresser or bed infront of it, or.other heavy bulky object. If they get past that, then they are an immediate threat to my family. While we don't have a duty to retreat law, if at all possible, avoid the fight.

I seriously consider the mental state of a person that would kill another human being over a dog.....
People have took the family pet to a whole new level of stupidity in our country. A dog is an animal although it be a friend, companion, deterrent or alarm. In a court room a dog will equal about the same worth as the family gold fish compared to a human. Human life has to be at stake to use Deadly Force. Then only can the object you use Deadly Force on be justified whether it was used against a human or a animal. Human life had to be at stake.

I don't have a gun to be a police officer. There the ones that are to catch the bad guys and put them behind bars. My gun is for self defense. As far as threshholds go, that's your call. To me, as soon as they come through the door to the room I'm in, hell is breaking loose. By looking for the badguys, you have to leave your family, so if other bgs are there, that means you've left them unguarded. My threshhold is the door to the bedroom.I'm guarding, which probably will have a dresser or bed infront of it, or.other heavy bulky object. If they get past that, then they are an immediate threat to my family. While we don't have a duty to retreat law, if at all possible, avoid the fight.

Again, i agree..i would only argue that the times i have heard something go bump in the night i didnt do that...i took a position to try and get a "read" on what i was hearing..those moments between thinking something may be wrong and knowing are what could cause the chain of events to unfold right?

What I'm saying or questioning is , sure if you know someone is in your home then barricade in with the family in the safe room..but you can't do that every time something may wake you up...so you pretty much have to check it out..but you don't want to try and clear the house and leave you're family... so what if you do see something is wrong while checking it out? Quite a pickle aye.. My threshold is when my family or my life is threatened, in that light flat screens, play station 3s and sad to say, even fido can go first before i shoot b/c as you said the best way to survive a fight is to avoid it..but who knows where that line is between grabbing a tv, harming my dogs and when i determine or our lives are on the line is?

Got a little off topic, oops.

Last edited:
If some one was attempting to kill my dog, I would shoot them.
Yes, yes, bombard me with "it's not legal" and "you'll regret it"
I still stand by my choice to protect my dogs. My dogs never leave my property except for the vet visit. Even the. They are very close to my person. If they are attacked I can only assume that that person wishes to attack me or others in my household. Said person would be taken out immediately.

Back
Top Bottom