Legal stance on defending with deadly force...

If you use deadly force on someone attempting to kill an animal,in Georgia,you will pay the price.You will come to regret it.Deadly force is only recognized as a deterrent to prevent death or severe injury to a human.If you are not willing to accept this,you should not have a weapons license.

So if you wake up in the middle of the night and hear someone downstairs loading up all your stuff in a bag to remove it from your home....you can't take him out?

If it was a human, its reasonable but what about a family DOG? What if someone is trying to kill your dog, cat, fish, bird, lizard ect....

if someone wants to kill my wifes cat, ill gladly help them. BUT, mess with my dog, and its game on. and when its all over, ill make sure 'ole trooper pees on ya for good measure!

So if you wake up in the middle of the night and hear someone downstairs loading up all your stuff in a bag to remove it from your home....you can't take him out?

If someone breaks into your home, Georgia's castle doctrine says you may use deadly force. If you are smart you will assume they are there to do you and your family great harm.

13 years ago I was working in a small town east of Atlanta. Had 2 dogs go after my pets, then after my wife, but she got in the house before they got her. She called me and I headed home. I called 911 and told them what happened. They asked if I was armed, and I said yes. Lady told me I had the go ahead if my family was threatened...

I understand your dilemma and your concern......but a 911 operator, is not a lawyer, not a judge, not an expert in Georgia Statute and Law......that would have been very risky on your part. Even if it was on tape it would not excuse your actions if they were deemed criminal......Sorry, no disrespect intended.

I understand your dilemma and your concern......but a 911 operator, is not a lawyer, not a judge, not an expert in Georgia Statute and Law......that would have been very risky on your part. Even if it was on tape it would not excuse your actions if they were deemed criminal......Sorry, no disrespect intended.

And shooting 2 dogs that are attacking your pets is not deadly force. Just as deadly force is only justified in defense of humans (as you pointed out) it only counts as deadly force if used AGAINST humans.

But I do agree 100% that dispatchers are neither lawyers nor police officers. Which is why George Zimmerman had no legal obligation to listen when the dispatcher told him "we don't need you to do that" (follow Trayvon Martin).

I pray everyday a hawk flys by and grabs my wife's yorkie

Get you a turkey call and sit out in the yard and that will draw the hawks in. When I was younger my dad made all his own call's and would sit out in the yard messing with them and the hawks stayed posted up around the house!

The 911 operator advised him to act to protect his family if required to do so. To me this is valid advice on the use of deadly force, even though, as already pointed out, this is not a deadly force question (in this case) but a property damage issue.

I've got insurance for that. Things can be replaced. Until the Guy begins coming towards me and my family, ill wait for police.

Back
Top Bottom