• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

legalities of an underground 1 lane range on residential property.

However, except as to the Sport Shooting Range law above, the general rule is that there is no preemption of local laws and ordinances and rules restricting how and where people shoot guns. Georgia's preemption law is about buying, selling, trading, carrying, etc. Not shooting. It says local governments can "reasonably limit or prohibit" the discharge of firearms. See O.C.G.A. 16-11-173.

Looking at my local city ordinances, should we end up living inside of city limits...

"Sec. 14-6. - Firearms; fireworks; discharging prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge firearms or guns, or to explode firecrackers or fireworks, anywhere in the city.

(Code 1985, § 10-1-5)"

I'm guessing this fall under "reasonably limit or prohibit the discharge of firearms"

Reconsider, what you really need is a nuclear survival shelter. Just by changing what it is called makes it so much easier to get approvals. What you do down there (with proper ventilation) is nobodys business.

I saw an install video yesterday where they used old railroad ties running vertical for the sides as reinforcement. Don't know how much that would cost, but looking expensive so far. Still want/need it however. I guess I will need to call my contractor friends and get some real world pricing.

railroad ties are not rated for ground contact depite popular belief,use block or concrete.

Any update on the legalities of it being underground? Someone in another thread said underground is ok but I don't know how solid that is.

I met a guy in Colorado and he had a range in his house below ground that belonged to his father. His father died of lead poisoning from breathing the fumes from shooting almost every day.

You know containers are only strong at the corners. I have seen pics of the roofs caving in on buried containers . I would think a concrete pipe or even metal pipe might be cheaper and easier to bury

So far, my research has yielded the following. I need a contractor for the Land Disturbance and Trenching permits. Nothing yet on the underground range itself.

Have you checked for any covenants in your deed?

Most zoning codes will consider the containers as accessory buildings.

Back
Top Bottom