• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

legalities of an underground 1 lane range on residential property.

A little advice on the construction aspect. As gagunlawbooklet said, it will most definitely leak. I use these containers for tool and equipment storage all the time and always have issues with leaks just from being moved around. If your going to spend the money on doing this you might as well make it water tight. Also, depending on how deep you set these you will need to reinforce at least the sides. Will also need to in stall a drain around the perimeter and daylight to pull the water away from the foundation "similar to a basement foundation". Wet compacted soil will create a lot of pressure on the walls of the boxes. the waterproofing and drain will help relieve that.
For the ventilation, maybe look into using some large squirrel cage fans and piping to the outside.

I know a guy that sunk 25' of concrete drain pipe in the ground leading to the poured concrete wall of his basement. I don't know what he used for a backstop or ventilation though.

That's about what I had in mind. Except a bit longer. The idea is to build an outbuilding over a manhole at the other end for the ventilation. Enough fans so that it is pulling everthing thru the pipe. Hand full of pulleys and part of a bicycle frame and some rope and you have a target trolley. Idea pretty much copied out of an old magazine like Popular Mechanix.

If you're shooting subsonic you can make a great bullet trap very easily with a piece of AR500 and rubber mulch (ie ground up tires) from Home Depot. Works like a charm.

What is the return on investment of a private range underground? 2 40 ft shipping containers, Dig a huge hole, ventilation, permits, etc. Maybe you should call it a tornado shelter that can be used as a range?

Back
Top Bottom