• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

Hey Leatherhead! You did the right thing for the situation. I have been asked to hand over my pistol almost everytime ive been stopped. I only do so if I am stopped for something I know I did wrong but have refused before also with mixed results. Was asked to hand over my pistol at a roadblock once after I handed the officer my DL and GWL and I refused and I was held up there for almost an hour after a second officer opened my passenger door and then reached between my seat and console and removed my gun from the car anyway. Thought that was a little excessive and was the only time Ive really been upset about it. Glad you had a good encounter. Mutual respect and common courtesy go a long way.However I dont feel comfortable about letting someone unholster my wepon on my person, even though Im usually carrying a wheel gun. Not really sure how to approach that part of it.

Hey Leatherhead! You did the right thing for the situation. I have been asked to hand over my pistol almost everytime ive been stopped. I only do so if I am stopped for something I know I did wrong but have refused before also with mixed results. Was asked to hand over my pistol at a roadblock once after I handed the officer my DL and GWL and I refused and I was held up there for almost an hour after a second officer opened my passenger door and then reached between my seat and console and removed my gun from the car anyway. Thought that was a little excessive and was the only time Ive really been upset about it. Glad you had a good encounter. Mutual respect and common courtesy go a long way.However I dont feel comfortable about letting someone unholster my wepon on my person, even though Im usually carrying a wheel gun. Not really sure how to approach that part of it.

Whoa! I woulda been mad a hell if a cop reached in a took it after I told him no!

I hope all individuals with a concealed weapons permit act as rationally as you. I respect all individuals who have served or are serving in the armed forces. That respect is also extended to the law enforcement community. I was in law enforcement for over 25 years and in the Army for 6 years. I wear a CIB and, luckily, was never wounded. That being said, I have walked the walk so I can talk the talk.

Everyone, please understand during a traffic stop or any other encounter, an officer does not know what to expect especially when he sees a firearm. He has to quickly evaluate the situation and make sure that there is no threat to himself or others. Chances are that he doesn't know who he is stopping. He doesn't know your degree of dangerousness. He doesn't know if you are wanted or are carrying someone else's ccw permit. He or she has every right to detain or even restrain you without arresting you.

For our scholarly brothers or sisters, you might be interested in reading Terry v Ohio, which explains a Terry stop can be made without a crime being committed.

All the best to Leatherhead for his common sense, the officer making the traffic stop and to Ink Daddy for his comments and his service.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope all individuals with a concealed weapons permit act as rationally as you. I respect all individuals who have served or are serving in the armed forces. That respect is also extended to the law enforcement community. I was in law enforcement for over 25 years and in the Army for 6 years. I wear a CIB and, luckily, was never wounded. That being said, I have walked the walk so I can talk the talk.

Everyone, please understand during a traffic stop or any other encounter, an officer does not know what to expect especially when he sees a firearm. He has to quickly evaluate the situation and make sure that there is no threat to himself or others. Chances are that he doesn't know who he is stopping. He doesn't know your degree of dangerousness. He doesn't know if you are wanted or are carrying someone else's ccw permit. He or she has every right to detain or even restrain you without arresting you.

For our scholarly brothers or sisters, you might be interested in reading Terry v Ohio, which explains a Terry stop can be made without a crime being committed.

All the best to Leatherhead for his common sense, the officer making the traffic stop and to Ink Daddy for his comments and his service.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for your service brother!

I totally get what you are saying Bryan...Terry is just a case law though. It spelled out the many factors present where an LEO can force an non consentual encounter. Loitering and Prowling (at least in our jurisdiction) is a pretty difficult charge to prove, unless you catch some one at 2 am pulling door handles on cars. Most agencies supplent GA law with city ordinances that are extremely liberal and give copps more latitude with non consentual encounters.

My only piece of advice is that during an LEO encounter try to remain as calm as possible, be firm, be respectful,and DO NOT try your cse on the side of the roadway. You will normally lose that intial encounter in a big way. If its a speeding ticket, moving violation, traffic accident etc deal with at the PD/SO etc if you think you are wronged. Getting into it on the side of road will result in all kinds of stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom