• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

Well your LEO experience went a lot better than mine did today.
While the officer who stopped me never even asked about weapons he did very courtesously issue me a citation which qualifies as a Super Speeder (87 in a 70).
FML... I gotta find something in the safe to sell now

Man, that sucks bud....

Whatcha sellin? :becky:

Great story. I'm really pleased by the responses from the forum too. As a former cop and long time gun guy I've often felt caught in the middle between siding with gun owners (we have Constitutional rights to own and carry guns) and siding with law enforcement (we just want to go home safe at the end of the shift). I really respect that so many members here basically said "Yes you have the right to open carry and yes you had the right to refuse to be disarmed but he was just doing his job and not violating anyone's rights. You both displayed mutual respect." I can assure you he told his cop buddies about the cool dude on the nice hog with the sweet Glock and a shotgun strapped to the back. We can win this thing if we keep playing it like this. Sweet 'Glide too. :cool:

I am a Police Chaplain and have been on enough ride alongside over the years to appreciate this situation from both sides. Mutual respect goes a long way.

Is it not strange that the LEO asked to begin with: "Do you have any weapons on you today?". In your case it was obvious that you were, but on what basis is he requiring a response based on a simple moving violation? I've never been asked that.

Given his attitude of respect towards you I believe that you REPAYED the respect by allowing it and in kind, you walked away without a citation....

I think you did just fine....

I am a Police Chaplain and have been on enough ride alongside over the years to appreciate this situation from both sides. Mutual respect goes a long way.

Exactly. It seems like it all went well, good for you Leatherhead. When I wore a badge and worked traffic, people who were nice and made me laugh, always walked away without a court date. :)

Back
Top Bottom