• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

Well your LEO experience went a lot better than mine did today.
While the officer who stopped me never even asked about weapons he did very courtesously issue me a citation which qualifies as a Super Speeder (87 in a 70).
FML... I gotta find something in the safe to sell now

NICE!!!!
I got a similar one in Lousyanna in 2011, but without the Fancy Name Tag ;) It'll drop off eventually.

Leatherhead, you did well and handled it fine.

Glad you wern't in Torrance, Kalifornia. They shoot you for delivering newspapers there.

Last edited:
Last two times (in GA) I got pulled over the cop didnt asked me if I was armed. Once in my car for speeding (Duluth 60/45,wearing a suit and tie) and once on my bike (expired tags, Duluth)

I think you handled it right.

You had the legal right to refuse!

Inkdaddy, You are absolutely right, However, To show he was not a threat and the LEO did ask and was polite about it, I think he did the right thing. No infrengement happened.

GEORGIA CODE Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia All rights reserved.

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 2. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-36 (2011)

§ 16-11-36. Loitering or prowling

(a) A person commits the offense of loitering or prowling when he is in a place at a time or in a manner not usual for law-abiding individuals under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity.

(b) Among the circumstances which may be considered in determining whether alarm is warranted is the fact that the person takes flight upon the appearance of a law enforcement officer, refuses to identify himself, or manifestly endeavors to conceal himself or any object. Unless flight by the person or other circumstances make it impracticable, a law enforcement officer shall, prior to any arrest for an offense under this Code section, afford the person an opportunity to dispel any alarm or immediate concern which would otherwise be warranted by requesting the person to identify himself and explain his presence and conduct. No person shall be convicted of an offense under this Code section if the law enforcement officer failed to comply with the foregoing procedure or if it appears at trial that the explanation given by the person was true and would have dispelled the alarm or immediate concern.

(c) A person committing the offense of loitering or prowling shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(d) This Code section shall not be deemed or construed to affect or limit the powers of counties or municipal corporations to adopt ordinances or resolutions prohibiting loitering or prowling within their respective limits.

I still think you should have ran, maybe popped off a couple shots for good measure. :)

I do think folks that work in public safety look at these encounters slightly different sometimes.

I have more than my share of these encounters as an LEO. I have never been "concerned" by people who OC. We get dispatched to these calls on a semi frequent basis. I normally will jjust stand back and watch what the person is doing that makes them suspicious to the complainant. I will often even approach the person and comment on whatever gun they are carrying just to strike up a conversation. I always make it abundantly clear that they arent doing anything wrong, and that we were dispatched out here but I cant understand why. I do normally try adress the concealed vs open carry, and engage the gun toter in a meaningful and educational discussion.

I always ask for their opinions on why the choose to OC vs CCW. Not in an attempt to trouble shoot them, but to actually hear their reasoning and I might evene learn a thing or two. Its amazing how many of my peers become over agressive when a firearm is present.....not even presented just there. I recently attended a very thorough firearms laws course that was endorsed by GCO and have begun teaching the course at our local academy to officers. I think just I can legally carry a gun, you to should be able to within the laws of this state and your jurisdiction.

One day you may be that citizen who saves my family, someone elses family, an innocent bystander, or even my ass when a bad guy gets the drop on us. The only thing I ask is shoot center mass and keep shooting until the threat ceases......

I have more than my share of these encounters as an LEO. I have never been "concerned" by people who OC. We get dispatched to these calls on a semi frequent basis. I normally will jjust stand back and watch what the person is doing that makes them suspicious to the complainant. I will often even approach the person and comment on whatever gun they are carrying just to strike up a conversation. I always make it abundantly clear that they arent doing anything wrong, and that we were dispatched out here but I cant understand why. I do normally try adress the concealed vs open carry, and engage the gun toter in a meaningful and educational discussion.

I always ask for their opinions on why the choose to OC vs CCW. Not in an attempt to trouble shoot them, but to actually hear their reasoning and I might evene learn a thing or two. Its amazing how many of my peers become over agressive when a firearm is present.....not even presented just there. I recently attended a very thorough firearms laws course that was endorsed by GCO and have begun teaching the course at our local academy to officers. I think just I can legally carry a gun, you to should be able to within the laws of this state and your jurisdiction.

One day you may be that citizen who saves my family, someone elses family, an innocent bystander, or even my ass when a bad guy gets the drop on us. The only thing I ask is shoot center mass and keep shooting until the threat ceases......

Great post! Thank you! And thanks for your service!

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom