• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's See Your Benches!

In the process of building a bench. Improvising until then.

Attachments

• 20140302_152418.jpg
    20140302_152418.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 67
Here is mine that's still in the setting up phase! A cheap find portable workbench from a garage sale and my Harbor Freight special. I am just getting back into reloading after a 4 year hiatus so this is just the beginning of the madness. I just wish I didn't sell my 550Bs I had!!!

I don't think I will be producing anything anytime soon, I didn't realize that components were still so hard to get!!!

Thanks for looking
Jim

IMG_0503.jpg

I have 2 garages that I have keys to.. Mine and my neighbors (and he has keys to my garage as well) I buy a lot of motorcycle geared tools and have a motorcycle lift, he buys a lot of car specific tools and has a lift.. he also has an Air conditioned work room that we moved all my reloading equipment into since I make ammo for the both of us so I could have a more comfortable place to work through the summer and so that I had a temperature/humidity controlled room to leave the essentials in instead of moving them from the house to the garage and back when I was loading.

The room inside the garage on the right front bay (its a 4 bay garage, behind this room is another room with all the bench mounted equipment, vise's, grinders, polishing wheels, and wire wheels, and an office above it)

20151106_131248.jpg
20151106_131248.jpg

The bench on the left with all the gun related stuff.. my workstation is this first one you see with the vise
No the drills don't get used on guns, I just sat them there the last time I was using them because there wasn't room on the bench to the right side of the room.. we really need to clean more often lol

20151106_131125.jpg

20151106_131204.jpg

His work station
20151106_131141.jpg

And no the dremel doesn't get used on guns either, he was in there working on an R/C car and just never moved it back to the tool box.

And the reloading section in the middle
20151106_131149.jpg

20151106_131155.jpg

Looking through some of these pictures makes me think about the number 1 question ask about reloading. How much money do you save. I reload myself and you don't save any money, you just shoot more!

I would shoot the same weather I reloaded or not. But I do get a great satisfaction seeing my groups tighter than others at competitions and knowing that part of it is in the quality of my ammo. I've had bad batches though too that didn't give me that consistency I was after and been upset at myself and forced myself to learn what I did wrong and do better. Most of the inconsistencies happen to me though when my primary source of projectiles is back ordered and I need to find another source because I let my supply run too short. I've thankfully not run into a similar situation with powder in quite some time.

All my equipment was paid for in 2500 rounds.. and I've made at least quadruple that in that past year shooting 9mm. Blazer brass runs $11 a box here locally and I'm making our loads for about $7 a box and getting slightly better groups (I run 124gn copper plated projectiles, I couldn't get the consistency out of 147 that I wanted, some of our comps run ranges from 7 to 35 yards in one shoot and the elevation change on the 147 was just too much in those distances for my liking) . I could do it for about $5 a box but I don't mind spending the extra $2 to have the components that I like that group the best with my setup. I'd spend $12 or $13 a box if it could get my groups to a quarter sized hole at 25 yards with my 9mm.. but I don't think the shooter is capable of that so that grade of ammo wouldn't help me much :lol:

For me though I think the biggest part is that the loading relaxes me. All I can focus on when I'm doing it is the loading itself and it clears my mind of anything else thats been going on that might have been bugging me

Back
Top Bottom