• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Life Advice?

I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Here’s what’s going on though. Im struggling to find my purpose in life, if any at all. Im currently 22 (about to be 23), have been going to college very inconsistently with a couple semesters here and there with plenty of breaks in between. The reason for this is because I can’t seem to figure out what I’m good at or what I want to do. It’s all very overwhelming and I’m getting flustered seeing all my friends graduate while I’m still over here messing around. I know you guys can’t exactly tell me what I should be doing, but I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience and help point me in the right direction.
Ask Jesus. He has a plan for us all. GOD bless.

Do some research on ADHD. It is not a provable condition like colorblindness or 20-20 vision.

If you say you have it, they believe you and move on. You were an adolescent male in a female run program. If you didn't act like the girls, there was something wrong with you, and the school system got federal money for every "adhd student" they identified.
I agree. Go in and tell them nothing is wrong. They have doctors and psychologists you will have to see before they take you in anyway. Let them decide. ADHD is one of the most over diagnosed "conditions" out there.

First, figure out what personality type you are:
https://www.16personalities.com/

If you do this honestly, it will help you to understand your strong traits and weak traits and will recommend some career paths.

Secondly, do you have any hobbies? If so, it may be that your hobby could become a career. (For example, if you enjoy video games, there are people who play video games professionally, and also those who create them for a living. Fishing guide, etc.)

Another route would be to look at career fields that are always in demand and well paid. (Think medical careers like nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, etc or Information Technology, network admin, cyber security, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc) Learn a well paid trade and be able to enjoy your life outside of work.

What careers do your parents/family have? Anything that might interest you?

My grandparents were teachers, something I was never interested in due to the low compensation and thankless, time-demanding job it is much of the time. But they loved it.

My goal was to be a doctor, about halfway through my premed I realized that I didn't have the money/financial backing (and didn't want the loans for) another couple years of undergrad and then med school. I debated on pursing a career in IT as I enjoyed building computers and gaming, but also knew that I enjoyed helping others. So I changed directions (with my then fiance, now wife) and we both decided to get into nursing and work our way towards being an MD. Fast forward, we've both been nurses for nearly 10 years now, are enjoying it and advancing our careers/education in nursing while making good money and raising a family.
I’m very intrested in cars. I have little to no interest in being a mechanic or salesman though. I’ve attempted selling cars and I hated it. Im wanting to make money and have stepped foot into a couple of the fields you’ve listed just to find out I don’t quite have the attention span or motivation to stick to my classes and work. My father is a music producer/sound engineer and my mother is in management for Ugg (the slippers) my issue seems to be finding something engaging enough to keep my attention. I understand this is a “me” issue and I’m not trying to sit here and bitch and whine to all you guys. I appreciate all the input so far from everyone though.

Go to a different recruiter and DON'T tell them you have any issues. You're in perfect health. Never had a broke bone or even a cold. Your mind is strong.

Wake up tomorrow morning and go to the recruiter. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
^^^That's really BAD advice(may even be illegal)..Ignore that.^^^
I'm with Furious on this. FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT OP.

What motivates you? Money, sex, attention?
Pm your cell for a introductory free mentor session. I never had one at your age and turned out.......
All of these things motivate me obviously. I just don’t know how to translate any of it into a career path or something that will keep me stable. Again, I understand this is all a “me” problem.

I have met some real pieces of work in the military. I wouldn't even blink if someone had ADHD.

All of these things motivate me obviously. I just don’t know how to translate any of it into a career path or something that will keep me stable. Again, I understand this is all a “me” problem.
First thing you need to learn about military service is keep your mouth shut and don't stand out. ADHD ain't shyt don't even mention it to a recruiter.

First thing you need to learn about military service is keep your mouth shut and don't stand out. ADHD ain't shyt don't even mention it to a recruiter.
Do they not have access to my medical files? Even if I kept my mouth shut wouldn’t they just stumble across this once viewing my history?

Do they not have access to my medical files? Even if I kept my mouth shut wouldn’t they just stumble across this once viewing my history?

Not likely. And if they did they would probably just ignore it. I use to be a recruiter and most things can be waivered. If you want to be a military man remember "I don't know" and always keep your mouth shut.

If I were recruiting you I would base my opinion on other qualities. But if you go blabbing you got ADHD whatever the **** that is then they will drop you because you weren't smart enough to keep your mouth shut.

Back
Top Bottom