• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Law Enforcement Using Military Equipment Questioned

mountainpass

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/military-equipment-flowing-to-local-law-enforcemen/nT7ZK/

Some people are upset that there are local law enforcement agencies armed with such weapons of war.

But the agencies that got the guns, armored vehicles and grenade launchers say it sends a message to would-be criminals: Officers “are armed to meet any threat,” so criminals should just stay away, said Bloomingdale Police Chief Roy Pike.

From the so-called 1033 program operated by a U.S. Department of Defense unit, Pike’s department of 13 officers acquired a grenade launcher for shooting tear gas, two M14 single-shot semi-automatic rifles and two M16 military-style rifles converted to semi-automatic from automatic.

Bold mine.

“What are we headed to?” Garrett asked. “Whatever it is seems to be already in motion at a breakneck speed. The police are preparing for an enemy. My question is, ‘Who is the enemy?”

Good for them! Unlike some on here think, the cops are the GOOD GUYS! If a bad guy wants to take them on I have no interest in them getting into a fair fight. LE should have overwhelming firepower, take minimal risk and waste the bad guys. Then go home to their families after a job well done.

Good for them! Unlike some on here think, the cops are the GOOD GUYS! If a bad guy wants to take them on I have no interest in them getting into a fair fight. LE should have overwhelming firepower, take minimal risk and waste the bad guys. Then go home to their families after a job well done.

Thats debatable, but we won't get into that...

Dept I worked for awhile back sent us to GEMA and we picked up 5 m14s with selectors, and 5 m-16s full auto none of the 3rd burst crap. All military surplus, here in ga any dept can get that stuff if its in stock. Just saying

x2 ,

If you don't intend to get into that, then why make the statement in the first place?

I'll BITE. You said.

A. NOT all the cops are GOOD guys.
B. LE should NOT have overwhelming firepower. Not every encounter begins/ends with a firefight. You will think differently when they try to use it on you. (e.g. only LEO have firearms) They usually already have better training, vests, back-up, radios, etc. The average criminal doesn't want to get in a firefight even if they have EQUAL levels of firepower.
C. We have judges & juries for the bad guys, not all should be "wasted".

I will sound like a hypocrite here but I do believe in "Peace through Superior Firepower" albeit only when those with the "Superior Firepower" can be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom