• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Law Enforcement Using Military Equipment Questioned

SWAT is generally called in where "beat cops" are not equipped to do the job. In most cases "beat cops" suit up with the other "beat cops" and work together to become the magical SWAT.

BTW most are not called SWAT any more. But most here believe the media in everything, until it goes against guns.

The media vary rarely gets it right. If it isn't interesting enough to get you to watch, then what's a little poetical license, to get your attention? Their job is to get your money. Everyone now days wants to be entertained. The idea that the media is there, strictly to inform the public is naive at best.

Keep turning against each other in your local communities, I'm sure the Feds would never step in to "help"

SWAT is generally called in where "beat cops" are not equipped to do the job. In most cases "beat cops" suit up with the other "beat cops" and work together to become the magical SWAT.

BTW most are not called SWAT any more. But most here believe the media in everything, until it goes against guns.

The media vary rarely gets it right. If it isn't interesting enough to get you to watch, then what's a little poetical license, to get your attention? Their job is to get your money. Everyone now days wants to be entertained. The idea that the media is there, strictly to inform the public is naive at best.

Keep turning against each other in your local communities, I'm sure the Feds would never step in to "help"

Very good info if anyone "really" wants to know instead of repeating BS. The info in the quoted post is accurate and truth.

My Department did not have "SWAT", we had SRT(Special Response Team) that consisted of special trained "regular" patrol officers that responded to critical incidents. We all carried advanced armament and special equipment in our patrol vehicles that was implemented when SRT was called to respond. Our SRT were all volunteers for the team within the Department and took on extra training to be certified in the tactics and weapons we used. As far as paramilitary, any decent department is operated under that premise in order to have discipline and accountability within the policies and laws in their jurisdiction. Not all departments are run by competent leaders nor are they staffed by the best officers. There are a lot of politics involved with some departments and we all know politicians are not always the best leaders. The premise of all departments being incompetent is basically flawed if your only experiences have been locally or negative in nature because you habitually break laws. Using that kind of logic is the same as the Liberals calling all gun owners incompetent because of the actions of a few.

Has anyone here ever seen a beat cop on general patrol fitted out with SWAT type clothing or equipment? The most I have ever seen was a LE uniform, utility belt with side arm and I suspect some of them are wearing body armor under the uniform.

I've seen beat cops with MP5's and I've seen SWAT units doing regular patrol "viability / security" work in major US cities. NYC and Chicago. To be in perspective it was within the years following 911. However that's what Massively accelerated the "militarization" of our police forces. They all got Homeland Security Grants. Many went out and bought all king of crazy stuff they'll never or seldom use. That's government though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we all want LEO to be properly outfitted to perform their duties.
And I really doubt anyone loses sleep over a PD acquiring some surplus military gear - even a tank or SUV. But that's just one piece of the puzzle.

Now look at some of the other pieces.

DiFi and other popular elected officials have a hard on to disarm the citizen. Even the prez has decided it's time to do something (post election).
Meanwhile agencies quietly stock up with the latest technologies and military gear every chance they get. Robots, drones, LEO only firearms, LEO only ammo.
Social Security Agency and other purchasing large quantities of ammo last year. (found that on the internet - may not be accurate)

Add all these pieces together and tell us what your puzzle looks like.

Finally for extra credit, can someone cite examples in history where have we seen the same trend and it ended well for the citizen?

Australia maybe?

I think they are arming up because we live in a dangerous world that is becoming more dangerous on a daily basis. If you are concerned with LE becoming armed so they can implement tyrannical actions by the government, I believe this to be an unfounded concern. The vast majority of LEOs would not enforce this type of action and, in fact, would side with the civilian population. That means that most of the goodies that are being stockpiled would actually be available to our side if the government tried to do something stupid. Most LE men and women are people of honor and behave accordingly. Many of you folks let a few bad apples skew your view of these people very unjustly. There is no reason to fear LE. They are not the enemy. They do not have the mind set of and should not be confused with LE agencies that are in oppressive countries. The motives for becoming a LEO in the US are very different and draw a different type of person than those in totalitarian systems.

I believe that if weed was legalized not only would the LEOs job be less dangerous, there wouldn't have to be as many. The war on drugs is a complete failure.

Portugal legalized ALL drugs and not only has crime been reduced, but so has the use of drugs itself. Let adults make their own decisions. This nanny state is absolutely ridiculous.

I believe that if weed was legalized not only would the LEOs job be less dangerous, there wouldn't have to be as many. The war on drugs is a complete failure.

Portugal legalized ALL drugs and not only has crime been reduced, but so has the use of drugs itself. Let adults make their own decisions. This nanny state is absolutely ridiculous.

Agree completely. Let adults make their own decisions and live with the consequences. Legalization of drugs DOES NOT mean that a person that is stoned is any less responsible for their actions and if they do something wrong because they are high, tough. It's no excuse. Legalization would also be a huge money saver. I think about 80% of people in prison are there on drug related charges. As for people killing themselves with drugs, hey, Darwin rules! LOL!

Agree completely. Let adults make their own decisions and live with the consequences. Legalization of drugs DOES NOT mean that a person that is stoned is any less responsible for their actions and if they do something wrong because they are high, tough. It's no excuse. Legalization would also be a huge money saver. I think about 80% of people in prison are there on drug related charges. As for people killing themselves with drugs, hey, Darwin rules! LOL!

Funny. A buddy of mine who is Atlanta PD is here right now and he agrees that if weed were legal his job would be a lot easier. Not easy, just easier.

They also made 552,077 arrests for violent crimes in 2010. There are approximately 803,396 LEO in the US. You do the math. How many violent criminals have you take on?

raw stats are a **** argument. i wonder how many of those violent offenders arrested were brought up on trumped of charges such as resisting arrest or obstruction of justice for not taking a cops ****. or how many of those violent offenders actually were convicted (you seem to forget, innocent until proven guilty)

also, this

175 officers in the US were killed in the line of duty in 2011.

im banking that most of these were car accidents

and its not my job to take on "violent criminals". it i however a cops job to enforce the law, but that atttidue right ther,e the one where you assume every one of those arrests to suddenly mean its the bad guys, THATS WHY PEOPLE ****ING HATE COPS

you guys are no cowboys, you are not always on the right side, and you are not the upholders of truth and justice. you work for a department and take orders, just because someone is a cop, doesnt make them a hero (sorry, its a job)

and i dont go looking for trouble, but im not stranger to violence or crime, its part of life

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize the link has nothing to do with tanks, right?

And no, I have no reason to do any further research on this because I am sure I'm right. You are welcomed to prove me wrong if you can, but that's on you. You are the one claiming they have them.
it has everything to do with an over-inflated budget and trying to justify those unwarranted expenses

to bad the cops where i live hunt down non-violent offenders on a regular basis for the purpose of generating revenue

its just a bit of pot, but that bit of pot will get you royally ****ed, no KY, by that gang in blue

Back
Top Bottom