• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Law Enforcement Using Military Equipment Questioned

Total BS ... it would have take one person with a high powered rifle to end this whole standoff instead of a bunch of incompetents slinging bullets at them. They didn't need "military weapons" they needed a bolt action 308 or 300 winmag and 2 rounds to end this standoff ... and they had dozens of these in their arsenal at the time.

I watched this on TV shaking my head at the stupidity of the whole thing ... and I was a kid.

Folks, this is the results of what happens when LE is under-gunned when the SHTF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

raw stats are a **** argument. i wonder how many of those violent offenders arrested were brought up on trumped of charges such as resisting arrest or obstruction of justice for not taking a cops ****. or how many of those violent offenders actually were convicted (you seem to forget, innocent until proven guilty)

also, this

im banking that most of these were car accidents

and its not my job to take on "violent criminals". it i however a cops job to enforce the law, but that atttidue right ther,e the one where you assume every one of those arrests to suddenly mean its the bad guys, THATS WHY PEOPLE ****ING HATE COPS

you guys are no cowboys, you are not always on the right side, and you are not the upholders of truth and justice. you work for a department and take orders, just because someone is a cop, doesnt make them a hero (sorry, its a job)

and i dont go looking for trouble, but im not stranger to violence or crime, its part of life

- - - Updated - - -

it has everything to do with an over-inflated budget and trying to justify those unwarranted expenses
First, I'm not a cop and have never been one.
Second, the weapons and equipment we are talking about were given to LE as military surplus, so no cost.
Third, a hater will justify their opinions no matter what and you sure sound like you hate cops.

Total BS ... it would have take one person with a high powered rifle to end this whole standoff instead of a bunch of incompetents slinging bullets at them. They didn't need "military weapons" they needed a bolt action 308 or 300 winmag and 2 rounds to end this standoff ... and they had dozens of these in their arsenal at the time.

I watched this on TV shaking my head at the stupidity of the whole thing ... and I was a kid.

The officers had no long guns at all on hand because they were not allowed to have them in their vehicles. They had to get them from a local gun store. Weapons in the arsenal don't do any good when they are needed on the street.

BTW, these "incompetents" made hit after hit on target, but the weapons and ammo they were allowed to have could not penetrate the body armor the criminals were wearing. This is exactly my point. They were not allowed to have the weapons they needed on hand and it turned into a disaster.

Also, bolt actions suck for CQB and if they are going to have a long gun I would like it to be a versatile one. Then again, I'm sure the Brady campaign would agree with your logic.

The level of hypocrisy astounds me. The same people that get all bent out of shape when the government talks about limiting their ability to own and bear arms have no problem with the exact same restrictions placed on LE, especially considering LE is much more likely to need them.

The level of hypocrisy astounds me. The same people that get all bent out of shape when the government talks about limiting their ability to own and bear arms have no problem with the exact same restrictions placed on LE, especially considering LE is much more likely to need them.

Let me know when this military surplus is available to me for free.

Let me know when this military surplus is available to me for free.

Ah, so the real problem is with the idea that they get it for free? Hey, we already payed for it for military use. If they aren't using it anymore, I like the idea of putting it to good use. I'll also point out that there is nothing in the OP article that a civilian can't own.

Ah, so the real problem is with the idea that they get it for free? Hey, we already payed for it for military use. If they aren't using it anymore, I like the idea of putting it to good use. I'll also point out that there is nothing in the OP article that a civilian can't own.

Ah, if I already paid for it then it's not really free is it ?

I'll also point out that there is nothing in the OP article that a civilian can't own.

I'll quote from the article. these are my concerns as well.

This is one of the most alarming trends in American policing,” Lynch continued. “We used to call them peace officers and they would treat people … with more respect and civility. We’re getting away from that. We’re getting into these military tactics and mindset that the people they (police) come into contact with are the enemy … and part of this is the militarized units in police departments.”

Candace Garrett Daly, a Cobb County homemaker, is equally unnerved.

“What are we headed to?” Garrett asked. “Whatever it is seems to be already in motion at a breakneck speed. The police are preparing for an enemy. My question is, ‘Who is the enemy?”

Again, it is my right to question the actions of government and voice my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom