• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Long Range Shooting - help picking a scope

The non-PST version has 12MOA per revolution instead of of 25MOA, and 5MOA less total evolution (that's 50" at 1,000yds), also the turrets are capped instead of exposed. So, turret design is quite different and that ain't a cheap part of the scope.

Ah, good point - thanks for that. I did find a YouTube video from an owner of the non-PST version and he detailed his dislike for the turrets on that model. Said they can easily be bumped and moved if the caps aren't on it, and that to reset it back to zero you lift the cap (spring-loaded) so if you aren't careful, you can change your zero and not realize it. Basically it sounds like the PST is more suited for hunting than range work. May be worth the extra $ to go with the PST. Plus, and I'm still learning why this is a big deal, but the PST has an MOA reticle with MOA turret adjustments, where-as the non-PST is Mil dot / MOA.

Looks like I may have finally picked a scope. I appreciate everyone's help and input.

Ah, good point - thanks for that. I did find a YouTube video from an owner of the non-PST version and he detailed his dislike for the turrets on that model. Said they can easily be bumped and moved if the caps aren't on it, and that to reset it back to zero you lift the cap (spring-loaded) so if you aren't careful, you can change your zero and not realize it. Basically it sounds like the PST is more suited for hunting than range work. May be worth the extra $ to go with the PST. Plus, and I'm still learning why this is a big deal, but the PST has an MOA reticle with MOA turret adjustments, where-as the non-PST is Mil dot / MOA.

Looks like I may have finally picked a scope. I appreciate everyone's help and input.

You can get the PST in MOA/MOA or mil/mil.......personal preference, they work equally well.

A mismatched setup (MOA/mil or mil/MOA) makes it difficult to use holdoffs and leads. For instance, say you have MOA turrets and a mil reticle. You're zeroed at 100yds and your dope for 400yds is 8MOA. You are trying to shoot quickly so you want to use your reticle to hold over instead of dialing. If you had an MOA reticle, you simply use the 8MOA hashmark for your new crosshair and fire. Since you have a mil reticle instead, you have to convert MOA to mil (8MOA x .296 = 2.368mils, round up to 2.4mils) to get your hold over. Much quicker and easier when your turrets and reticles match.

The differance in the 12moa and 25moa Turrets makes a big difference if you shooting a precision target match . If you are cranking elevation say to 1000yrds and then have a mover or pop up at 250yds.It would be easy for a new shooter to get lost on how many revs ,they made it easer by giving shooters 25moa per rev.I have one scope that has 7.5 moa per rev it makes it interesting at times .
If your shooting a 308 it could be around 31moa for 1000yds (depending on bullet & velocity).
My old 6SLR would take 21moa so the 25moa would be a nice feature if you're shooting that kind of match.
John

With Bushnell offering their 25% rebate, I have been looking at the Elite 6500 Tactical models. Any thoughts? I see that some have the mil/moa set-up that cmshoot cmshoot described. Aside from that, does anybody have personal experience?

Stay away from any scope where the turrets are in one system and the reticle is in another. So, mil/MOA combo is a no-go. You should use mil/mil or MOA/MOA.

Back
Top Bottom