• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Range Shooting - help picking a scope

RHelton10

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
422   0
Reaction score
First, as much as I appreciate all the input that I'm sure this thread is going to get, I'm only looking for advice from experienced shooters at 600 yards and beyond.

I've recently gotten a G2 Ruger Precision in 308 that I'm setting up for CMP. The only "decent" scope that I currently have is a Nikon BDC Buckmaster 6-18x40mm and I'm wanting to get some better glass with a mil dot reticle (I'm slowly learning the art of MOA adjustments at different distances).

Disclaimer: I'm not looking to build the best and most expensive setup that I can find. I'm just playing around with long distance shooting right now (only been to CMP twice, usually only shoot 100' when at home) so I KNOW that there are much better options out there, I'm just not going to spend that kind of money right now on a setup that will be used roughly 8-10 times a year.

I'm looking at the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm w/ VMR-1 MOA Reticle as a possible contender, but I'm also open to other suggestions around the $600 +/- mark if anyone has any.

What are (if any) the disadvantages of having TOO much power for distance shooting? I keep reading that 16x is good up to 600 yards and 24x is best for 800 yards and beyond, but I'm not following the logic. Besides weight, which isn't a factor since I'm not hunting with it, are there any reasons why I would NOT want to use a 24x scope at 600 yards?

Next question - what are some quality rings that I can get and not have to worry about slipping that don't cost and arm and a leg?

What are (if any) the disadvantages of having TOO much power for distance shooting? I keep reading that 16x is good up to 600 yards and 24x is best for 800 yards and beyond, but I'm not following the logic. Besides weight, which isn't a factor since I'm not hunting with it, are there any reasons why I would NOT want to use a 24x scope at 600 yards?

Not going to give a suggestion on a scope for you but I was curious about the answer to this question as well and from the research I found is that the higher magnification will magnify the scope quiver, those tiny movements of the rifle. Also you limit your field of view, probably not important in target shooting but a bigger factor when hunting and you limit the light coming into the scope.

Not going to give a suggestion on a scope for you but I was curious about the answer to this question as well and from the research I found is that the higher magnification will magnify the scope quiver, those tiny movements of the rifle. Also you limit your field of view, probably not important in target shooting but a bigger factor when hunting and you limit the light coming into the scope.

Agreed, I've heard the same as far as hunting, but I won't be shooting in very early / late hours of the day so not an issue on the amount of light.

There is really never a disadvantage of having "too much" scope, its better to have and not need than need and not have. I like a max of 25 power for out to 1400 and 31 out to 2500.

the only negatives with too much power is Mirage, but once again you can dial down. I run 12-18 power for most PRS stages but its good to have the extra power for those extra small targets.

When it comes to hunting I like having GOOD glass max 18 power, normally keep it dialed down but the extra power helps to judge a deer and it also helps to make sure that doe really isn't a button buck.

Not trying to promote myself, but you might want to come out to my fun match on June 10th so you can try out different options. even if you don't shoot the match you might benefit

I cant help with the scope part of your question, but for good, rock solid rings, I'd recommend Burris Extreme. Six screws per ring, 3 per side. I've had them on my hunting rifle for years and I've never had to rezero or make even a small adjustment to my scope.

I cant help with the scope part of your question, but for good, rock solid rings, I'd recommend Burris Extreme. Six screws per ring, 3 per side. I've had them on my hunting rifle for years and I've never had to rezero or make even a small adjustment to my scope.

OP: Heck if you want a set of Burris Rings, I'll give you a set. either pay for shipping or meet me off of 20 when Im going to the farm this weekend in Carrolton.

Buy glass quality, not magnification. I can do more on 20x than lots of cheaper scopes on 40x. I've always prescribed by 1x per 100 yrs minimum. More is preferred.

Back
Top Bottom