• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Look out for ticks

I've had the alpha gal allergy for probably 10 years now. Been in the ER once with a reaction but have had several more that were as bad that I just tried to tough out. I wouldn't wish what happens on my worst enemy. I haven't had a reaction in maybe a year and a half, but I am very cautious about any meat I eat and always ask if anything I get when I eat out has beef in it. The strange part is that I can still eat pork, but no red meats. And the worst part is that symptoms have never occurred in me until about 4 hrs. after I consumed the meat. It always starts out with a stinging/itching sensation on different areas of my body, then moderate to severe hives on my torso and legs. Then as they start to subside (which can last an hour or more) I start having severe chest pains that will eventually cause profuse vomiting if I have much in my stomach. It's been said that it may subside after several years if you don't get bit again, but I'm just too scared to take the chance. As much as I have loved beef most of my 56 years, I'd rather pass than go through what happens. The allergy is definitely real, and all I can do is eat turkey burgers and pray that a cure may be developed someday..........

That's the thing about the Alpha Gal allergy that makes it different- the reaction or Anaphylaxis is a delayed reaction, unlike most other allergic reactions.
Alpha Gal is also prevalent in a pig's tissues- you are lucky that pork doesn't affect you also.

IMG_2940.jpg

What is even worse is that I still love to deer hunt but am afraid to eat venison because it's red meat just like beef. So far even though it doesn't make sense I can eat pork without any reactions. It seems to be red meats only for me.........

I'm one of those people, red meat became a big no no for me a few years ago. I'm mostly pescatarian now by default. Mine isn't as bad as some ironically cause I have bad stomach problems, if I eat red meat especially beef or pork, essentially I feel like I got food poising then violent BMs about 20 minutes afterwards. I still try it on ocassion with same results. Went vegetarian for almost a year cause I was scared to eat any meat. This is also why last year I kept letting all the deer walk, it's a whole lot harder to pull that trigger when only others want the meat but you know you won't eat any of it, or regret it and essentially waste it if you do eat it.

My mother on the other contracted Lyme about 6 or so years ago.

I have found at least 10 ticks crawling on me this year, and I haven't been in the woods very much at all. They are awful this year.

spray yourself down folks.

Off with 40% deet OR more.
Permathrin
grandpa's old gas and diesel fuel formula, whatever works.

I get huge welts from mosquito bites, chiggers, spiders, and even ticks. Guess I am highly allergic to everything that bites. I can tell you around the house, I haven't seen a tick or chigger in years. We have our few acres professionally sprayed with Bifen from April - October...primarily for the reduction of mosquitoes. Pest guy says that will gets rid of ticks and chiggers too -which it did. Heck ants are even reduced from this spray.

Worth EVERY PENNY......since we are outside for hours each day at home. Can be outside for hours and might get one mosquito bite....before the treatment I would have at least 10-20 bites an hour, if not more. It was horrible.

Now if I could only have the entire hunting club done. :)

Back
Top Bottom