• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for feedback on repairing or replacing outdoor grill

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
I've got a four year old "Outdoor Gourmet" (Academy Sports) 4 burner/1 infrared LP grill. The drip plates are rusted out, and I suspect the burners will probably need replacement as well.

Trying to decide:

1) Spend $100 on replacement parts and a few hours of refurbishment.
2) Spend $200 - $300 on an end-of-season sale grill of roughly the same (throw away) quality.
3) Open the checkbook really wide and buy a Weber.

Side notes: The wife complains that the current grill doesn't cook evenly (temperature differences across the grilling surface), so she's no great fan of the current grill. I also have a Weber smoker (it's great!), and the LP grill is hooked to our house propane, so no interest in a charcoal grill (for you hardcore grillers that will suggest it).

What do you have? Do you like it?

I've got a four year old "Outdoor Gourmet" (Academy Sports) 4 burner/1 infrared LP grill. The drip plates are rusted out, and I suspect the burners will probably need replacement as well.

Trying to decide:

1) Spend $100 on replacement parts and a few hours of refurbishment.
2) Spend $200 - $300 on an end-of-season sale grill of roughly the same (throw away) quality.
3) Open the checkbook really wide and buy a Weber.

Side notes: The wife complains that the current grill doesn't cook evenly (temperature differences across the grilling surface), so she's no great fan of the current grill. I also have a Weber smoker (it's great!), and the LP grill is hooked to our house propane, so no interest in a charcoal grill (for you hardcore grillers that will suggest it).

What do you have? Do you like it?
I use a Bubba Keg. Basically a steel, insulated version of a komado oven (think Big Green Egg). Paid a little more than your budget, but I love it. Lowes carries a less expensive kamado-style charcoal grill called the Akorn for $299 which should cook the same and gets good reviews.

Would never go back to propane or a regular charcoal grill.

Wait for cooler weather and start watching craigslist for cheap silver or gold series webers. I bought one last year that was less than a year old for 100.00.

I have a Thermos brand that I had to replace the grates and shields but now the shields need replacing and burners too, probably. And the electric start stopped working.

I'm debating whether to order more parts or just wait for a sale in the Fall.

Best thing I ever did was replace the propane with natural gas. Don't have to worry about tanks running out.

Back
Top Bottom