• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for motorcycle advice

My two cents, don't get the bike you really want right off. If you haven't got any experience on street bikes, find a cheap, used bike around 500-650cc's and learn to ride on it. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course; as a plus, when you pass it, it counts as your road and written test for a class M license in Georgia! Then, when you're comfortable with your skills, sell the beater and get the bike you really want. It'll also give you time to test ride other bikes and see what you like.

Just be careful! Most folk's first bike wreck happens shortly after they've been riding enough to get confident... they get over confident and push it. Happened to me when I was 20. Also keep in mind that experience with dirt bikes doesn't really translate that well to street bikes.

Awesome, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Bring back a bmw

Shipping and taxes would be a killer. I've already looked into bringing an Aprilia Sport scooter back...not cost effective.

Whatever you get I suggest the MSF course. If you learn one thing that weekend that saves your rump it will be well worth the investment. I think the 650 Ninja would be a great choice or maybe a Kawasaki Versys. Then again I may be biased. I agree as well buy something small and cheap ride it for a few months in that time you will decide which direction you want to go and what you want from a bike. The good news is you will be in prime riding time (I know we live in the south there is no non riding time) and you will be able to sell the bike and get all your money back to put toward what you want.

Suzuki C50 Boulevard! It's what I learned on and road for about 5 years before I had to sell her. :p It's 805cc but it's so light and looks huge! You should be able to find some used in your price range.

I really miss her! :blue:

Attachments

• Denver Slants on 07 Boulevard A.jpg
    Denver Slants on 07 Boulevard A.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM0871.jpg
    HPIM0871.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 15
Hey ODT crew. I've been recently bitten by the bike bug. When I get back to the US I think I'm going to buy a sport bike or touring bike. I'm just looking for suggestions of notoriously high quality used brands/models. I'm probably going to look at something in the 650cc range. I have very little motorcyle experience, but grew up in the country riding everything from four wheelers to bulls. I'd like to find something fairly easy to learn on. Any suggestions in the $3k - $4k range used?

My buddy has some nice used bikes for sale rather cheaply. Check out Consignment Motorsports in Canton for a really great deal. I got my Victory 92C there.

I think the easiest to learn on is the Honda shadow vlx 600. Not to powerful, but has enough to do what you need. They are easy to find, hardly any problems, and easy to resell. Buy something used first, get used to it, then you will know what upgrades you are looking for in a bike you plan on keeping. Most of all, be safe and watch out for all the idiots not looking for bikes!

Back
Top Bottom