Looking for motorcycle advice

HGUNHNTR Shipping and taxes would be a killer. I've already looked into bringing an Aprilia Sport scooter back...not cost effective.[/QUOTE said:
Thats too bad. Have seen aprilia crotch rockets here, maybe the scooters are available here too?

^ Yeah you could get them, but there are certain models that are available in Europe that you can't get in the US.

BMW makes a F650GS and a F800GS dual sport bike. I'm in the market for the 800 now.

View attachment 162498

My buddy took his BMW K1200 across the US and then up to the Artic Circle. The following year he rode it all the way down to the tip of S. America. Crazy to do something like that solo, but a lifetime of memories and stories.

Low mileage would be around 10 k,middle range 25,high would be 40 k plus,I would go with a cruiser if you are worried about pushing it in the 500-800 cc range,there is a world of difference in a sport bike and a cruiser performance wise. I have both,my crotch rocket never gets rode,it is too tempting to get stupid with. Even a 600 sportbike will blow away my 1100 cc cruiser.

I agree with Sqiddley, cruisers are the way to go. The more power it has, the more you will push its limits. For me, comfort and class is the way to go. For rides longer than an hour or so, you will appreciate the comfort of a bigger heavier bike.

I agree with Sqiddley, cruisers are the way to go. The more power it has, the more you will push its limits. For me, comfort and class is the way to go. For rides longer than an hour or so, you will appreciate the comfort of a bigger heavier bike.

^^^^This^^^^

Cruisers are the ****! My bike weighs 685 without anything on it...and it rides like butta'.

If you have the urge to go really, really fast, and get hurt pretty easily, go for the crotch rocket type bike in a reduced horse power form similar to what others have suggested. If you just want to have lots of fun going relatively close to the speed limit most of the time, consider a standard, and move your way up to a bigger cruiser. I love my Street Bob. It's fast for a cruiser, and still handles well in the curves. No problem going 100+ when you want to, it just takes a little longer to get there. Good luck, and be safe. Ride On!

Mileage was a good question. Quick answer is obviously get the lowest mileage bike, whatever you decide on. For a first bike and As long as you get something you wont get tired of in 6months, I'd say look in the 10-15k mile range.
There's been some good recommendations in this thread but the question I always ask buyers is what kind of riding are you into or planning on doing?? Is comfort and ride important or braking and handling?? Sport touring or just a cruise be it long or short?? Mountains, destination trips to the Dragon etc.
Also, as I cannot see you, it may be important if you're 5ft nothing that you stay away from say, an adventure tourer. If your inseam is 30"-32" or more, you can pretty much ride whatever you set your eyes on. But your dimensions will help on the model recommendations. I.E. The Ninja 650R and Suzuki SV650 are nice bikes but that Kawasaki seat height is rather tall. About 32" or so and has a decently wide saddle which makes it difficult for shorter or beginning riders.

Last edited:
Mileage was a good question. Quick answer is obviously get the lowest mileage bike, whatever you decide on. For a first bike and As long as you get something you wont get tired of in 6months, I'd say look in the 10-15k mile range.
There's been some good recommendations in this thread but the question I always ask buyers is what kind of riding are you into or planning on doing?? Is comfort and ride important or braking and handling?? Sport touring or just a cruise be it long or short?? Mountains, destination trips to the Dragon etc.
Also, as I cannot see you, it may be important if you're 5ft nothing that you stay away from say, an adventure tourer. If your inseam is 30"-32" or more, you can pretty much ride whatever you set your eyes on. But your dimensions will help on the model recommendations. I.E. The Ninja 650R and Suzuki SV650 are nice bikes but that Kawasaki seat height is rather tall. About 32" or so and has a decently wide saddle which makes it difficult for shorter or beginning riders.

OK, yeah I'm a 6'0 and about a 33" inseam. The big ole touring style bikes hold much less appeal to me, they're not really me I guess. I'm kinda digging the BMW that was posted earlier though.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom