Looking for motorcycle advice

You can find a lot of bikes out there for $3-$4k. You just have to decide what style of riding you will be doing. Personally I prefer the dualsport/adventure type bikes as you can hit the dirt roads or the interstate. If all you want to do is ride on the street, I'd seriously look into a SV650 if you want something a little sporty, without all the expensive plastic. I took a 2 week trip across country and it never even hinted at any problems. They are dead reliable, super easy to maintain. Bikes with plastic are a pain in the arse to change the oil if you service them yourself. If you want a dualsport type bike, I'd recommend a DR or KLR.

I don't have a picture of my current bike, which is a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC, but here are some pictures of the bikes I have owned in the past.

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_Motorcycles_Motorcycles_Scrambler_001_1145968611_TFfQs_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_Motorcycles_Motorcycles_Scrambler_017_1145973114_sU5EA_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_578791978_DFgcS_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_578793455_LPRUN_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_583715290_aXaHB_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_250584616_EAMTJ_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_222187029_Lf4CG_M.jpg

dirtysouth.smugmug.com_photos_272045012_ZUULs_M_1.jpg

I agree with sv650, ninja 650r, and fz6. All great bikes. I had an 08 fz6 and it handled like a sport bike but was comfortable enough for all day. (Longest day was 418 miles playing around ga/tn/nc)

I currently ride a 03 Kawi Meanstreak which is an amazing bike but might not suit your style.

Just always remember, it's not you that you have to worry about. It's all the idiots on cell phones!

Alot of people start with a 600 for a sport bike. Depending on your build (160lbs+) I would suggest starting with a 750. A 750 is a comprimise between a 600 and 1000. Still has the power and can still be agile. You most likely will grow out of the 600 with in the first year. Just MHO from frends and my experience

I have been riding all my life on and off. Never was a fan of the cruiser style or Harleys, always chose something a tad more sporty. I have an 01 Yamahs FZ1 sitting in my garage right now and I should probably sell it as it doesn't get used that often. Fast, fun, easy to ride and it doesn't make you get into contorted positions to ride it. If you are judicious with the throttle it is very forgiving but if you crank your wrist you will get into trouble. I've had it up to 130 (I'm 6-4, 270) and it was still pulling hard when I lost my nerve.

Was going to post a pic but Photobucket is acting up...

Alot of people start with a 600 for a sport bike. Depending on your build (160lbs+) I would suggest starting with a 750. A 750 is a comprimise between a 600 and 1000. Still has the power and can still be agile. You most likely will grow out of the 600 with in the first year. Just MHO from frends and my experience

I have to disagree. No one on this planet has "outgrown" a 600cc sportbike. If you have truly mastered a 600cc sportbike, you could be making some money on a race track. Take a ride up to the North GA mountains and you'll see plenty of guys who have "outgrown" 600cc sportbikes getting owned once they get in the curves. A lot of the kids around here buy sportbikes and ride them up and down 41, but never to the twisty roads where their talents will be tested. But that's just my opinion as well and I mean no disrespect to anyone or their opinion.

I don't recommend anyone starting out on something that will top out around the 150 mph mark. There is not enough restraint in us guys to keep from doing it at least once, and sometimes you just don't get a second chance.

I have to disagree. No one on this planet has "outgrown" a 600cc sportbike. If you have truly mastered a 600cc sportbike, you could be making some money on a race track. Take a ride up to the North GA mountains and you'll see plenty of guys who have "outgrown" 600cc sportbikes getting owned once they get in the curves. A lot of the kids around here buy sportbikes and ride them up and down 41, but never to the twisty roads where their talents will be tested. But that's just my opinion as well and I mean no disrespect to anyone or their opinion.

I don't recommend anyone starting out on something that will top out around the 150 mph mark. There is not enough restraint in us guys to keep from doing it at least once, and sometimes you just don't get a second chance.

lol, that's why up until now I've been riding 49cc scooters.

I have been riding all my life on and off. Never was a fan of the cruiser style or Harleys, always chose something a tad more sporty. I have an 01 Yamahs FZ1 sitting in my garage right now and I should probably sell it as it doesn't get used that often. Fast, fun, easy to ride and it doesn't make you get into contorted positions to ride it. If you are judicious with the throttle it is very forgiving but if you crank your wrist you will get into trouble. I've had it up to 130 (I'm 6-4, 270) and it was still pulling hard when I lost my nerve.

Was going to post a pic but Photobucket is acting up...

I had a 01 FZ1 with the Ivans jet kit and aftermarket exhaust. I passed a coworker one morning on the way home running 154 mph, or at least that's what the speedo showed. I had to get rid of it because I am smart enough to know that I am not responsible enough for that kind of power. It was a great bike, comfortable and a pretty good range as long as you didn't pull that happy stick back too much. I had a FZ6 also but I hated it. You had to keep the revs up before it started making any power and then you were well beyond the speed limit. That's the problem with inline fours, they're not fun riding them unless you're riding them fast.

Back
Top Bottom