Looking for motorcycle advice

I had a 01 FZ1 with the Ivans jet kit and aftermarket exhaust. I passed a coworker one morning on the way home running 154 mph, or at least that's what the speedo showed. I had to get rid of it because I am smart enough to know that I am not responsible enough for that kind of power. It was a great bike, comfortable and a pretty good range as long as you didn't pull that happy stick back too much. I had a FZ6 also but I hated it. You had to keep the revs up before it started making any power and then you were well beyond the speed limit. That's the problem with inline fours, they're not fun riding them unless you're riding them fast.

Thankfully I am old enough (57) to avoid temptation. It's very docile and forgiving if you show the throttle the respect it deserves. If you don't - it will be a short, very fast ride...

lol, that's why up until now I've been riding 49cc scooters.

You're a smart guy. A lot of people get caught up in the "bigger is better" mentality, but that can really bite you quick on a bike. I'm a member over on ADVRIDER.COM and I see bikes like the KLR650 selling for $2k plus. That bike is big enough in stature that it won't get blown around on the road like a scooter. It has enough power to cruise all day long on the interstate, but not enough power where it will get you in over your head. It's like a a 10/22 or Remington 870, you can accessorize it until your heart is content. With the proper rider, it will embarrass squids in the twisties, and will get 50+ mpg with a 6 gallon tank. Insurance will be a couple $2-$300 a year for full coverage. When you drop it on it's side, you'll almost be proud that it has character now. Do that with a plastic sportbike or chromed out cruiser, and you're crying.

I have to disagree. No one on this planet has "outgrown" a 600cc sportbike. If you have truly mastered a 600cc sportbike, you could be making some money on a race track. Take a ride up to the North GA mountains and you'll see plenty of guys who have "outgrown" 600cc sportbikes getting owned once they get in the curves. A lot of the kids around here buy sportbikes and ride them up and down 41, but never to the twisty roads where their talents will be tested. But that's just my opinion as well and I mean no disrespect to anyone or their opinion.

I don't recommend anyone starting out on something that will top out around the 150 mph mark. There is not enough restraint in us guys to keep from doing it at least once, and sometimes you just don't get a second chance.

Your right, I shouldnt have used the word "outgrown". 600's are very nimble and great track bikes. I guess I meant for daily riders. a lot mov on to the 750 and 1000 for the ecceleration power over the 600.

OK, yeah I'm a 6'0 and about a 33" inseam. The big ole touring style bikes hold much less appeal to me, they're not really me I guess. I'm kinda digging the BMW that was posted earlier though.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.
Idk how old you are but I like going fast like anyone else. However, even 10yrs ago I didn't really like the way sport bikes folded me up and I'm only 5'10". I am a big Triumph fan, and rode a Speed Triple for almost 7yrs. Bought it new in 06 and put about 48,000 miles on it. Comfortable and great brakes and handling. I'd look for something roomy like a standard style bike. Or like that Tiger 800. I really like those. The 650's being recommended are great bikes but I think an SV might be just a tad tight fitting. But you can of course go sit and check all these kind of bikes out. The FZ-1 by Yamaha, is a great model that someone mentioned (love the euro fazer version) but I'm not a huge fan of inline 4cylinder bikes, no character ;) Seriously the buzz from the motor is usually ridiculous and always right at highway speed. My hands and feet have been numb from a few in the past. The twins and 3 cylinder bikes are much better about vibes. My Triple has perfect primary balance and was a joy to ride as far as I could stay in the saddle. Twins, especially V-twins (except harleys and some other single pin imports) naturally balance out the vibes pretty well.
If you're looking to tear up fire road or two, look at the KLR series or V-strom, or dual sports like a DR-Z. Tiger or Scramblers are awesome too, you'll like Steve McQueen!
If you're mostly staying on road, look at the big standard or what they're calling "naked" bikes. Z-1000, Speed or Street triple, FZ or SV 1000 etc. Not that you need bigger motors but its usually a physically larger bike. Just practice judicious use of the throttle and keep your wrist down. You'll be fine. Just like w/ weapons, one must practice restraint. Good luck, hope we see you up on the mountain. :)

Kawasaki Concours. Best bang for your buck. Get the 1000 and you will have a sport touring bike. I have one and it is great....can carve the twisties or cruise interstate two up. COG Owners group has a great site and you can find out a lot there.
Hey ODT crew. I've been recently bitten by the bike bug. When I get back to the US I think I'm going to buy a sport bike or touring bike. I'm just looking for suggestions of notoriously high quality used brands/models. I'm probably going to look at something in the 650cc range. I have very little motorcyle experience, but grew up in the country riding everything from four wheelers to bulls. I'd like to find something fairly easy to learn on. Any suggestions in the $3k - $4k range used?

If you're new to the game get a cruiser around 650-750 cc. I used to buy and sell bikes , still do every spring thru summer. For your first bike don't go big and dont go fast, go for comfort and ease.
I've never paid more than $2k for a bike including my Sportster. Don't blow your wallet on your first bike, save that for your 2nd.

adventure bikes are by far the best in my opinion, you get so much use out of them as a daily rider and long haul trips, not to mention the power and handling of a sportbike with the hauling capacity and comfort of a dresser
buellwheelie.jpg be different be a bueller

Back
Top Bottom