• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for steal I-Beams/Support beams

yea. I had an engineer come out and this is what he recommended. Obviously he was willing to do all the work, but wanted $13K. and that aint an option.

It's good to at least get it evaluated correctly.

My dad was an architect. I grew up around construction.

Let's just say I've seen some stuff. And there's a reason I mentioned its a good idea to get an architect or engineer to check it out.

Residential contractors are not qualified to evaluate something like this-no matter what they will tell you. And a lot of designs nowadays are sketchy. Spans loo long for wood in the first place, or foundations that won't work well on a hill or sandy soil. There's a reason that is bowing out in the first place, and that reason is some contractor screwed up.

Some of these contractors running around now are worse than any used car salesman. Some have never held a hammer.....

Well I for one have a B E in structural engineering. No P E though cause I went straight into building roads and big bridges instead of checking drawings fer three years.

Good.

We need more of that!!

About 90% of the guys I know of around here are idiots and scammers-and the general public has no idea..

I know of a house over on the other side of the county where the whole second level was not attached to anything. Not a single nail on a sole plate. It was discovered when the carpet installed were trying to stretch out new carpet and the more they kicked to stretch it, the further the second story wall moved out.

House right down the street was built with no insulation. None. (Of course, the family who had it built paid for it. Twice.)

And don't get me started on foundations. I know of several houses built in one spot and they have migrated halfway downhill because some jackass didn't do that right.

That's the contractor's fault. Any asshole who sets a bunch of Mexicans loose with nail guns and doesn't even watch them should be thrown in prison. I have issues with unskilled mexicans doing any of this anyhow. Construction is not supposed to be done by unskilled labor.

They might want a stamp when you go for your building permit.

If you finish your basement without a building permit you will have a situation when you go to sell your property, because most mortgage companies won’t loan money on work that is done without a permit.

The building permits are for everyone’s protection.

Whats causing the deflection? Old, span too long, load from above, or the most often over looked item is a uplift on the end creating a dip in the middle.

LvLs are great but take up more space when compared to steel. Your jack studs won't change.

I am a fan of LVL because you can temp support the ceiling on both sides, cut your joist, mount your LVL, use Simpson Ties from HD or Lowes and have some wood to nail and finish too.

EDIT: I did not see where you plainly said WALL.....and I was thinking floor. BUt most applied but is more involved. Follow the load up to the roof and back down.
The pressure from the ground is pushing against the basement wall. Over time, it’s developed a bow

It's good to at least get it evaluated correctly.

My dad was an architect. I grew up around construction.

Let's just say I've seen some stuff. And there's a reason I mentioned its a good idea to get an architect or engineer to check it out.

Residential contractors are not qualified to evaluate something like this-no matter what they will tell you. And a lot of designs nowadays are sketchy. Spans loo long for wood in the first place, or foundations that won't work well on a hill or sandy soil. There's a reason that is bowing out in the first place, and that reason is some contractor screwed up.

Some of these contractors running around now are worse than any used car salesman. Some have never held a hammer.....

Yes this is true for lots of them! But not all of us. Some of us are very good.

Back
Top Bottom