• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Dogs

I appreciate the advice. I especially like the response with the link to the legal reference. My son-in-law almost took the shot thinking they were coyotes. He realized they were dogs when they came closer. Some did have collars.

Where I come from, if someone doesn't control their animal, its ok to put the animal down when they cause you problems. When I was a kid, I was treed by a pack of wild dogs. I'll never let that happen again. I do think, that since I suspect I know where the animals live, I should do the right thing and give the owner a chance. Heck this close to the end of the season and all. I am going to warn him that I, and some inexperienced hunters, will be out going for coyotes and pigs. It would suck if his dogs were misidentified.

I appreciate the input from those that kept it civil. For those that didn't... well... I'll let that dog lie.
I've found that 95% of the time you will get further by being nice, kind and genuine. The only time I forgo that option is when myself or family are in physical danger or when someone mistakes my kindness for weakness.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the law hasn't changed http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-2/27-3-49

But you can't shoot a dog that is wearing a collar and chasing deer. Talk to your neighbor and/or call the game warden. If it is not wearing a collar, then according to the above, you can shoot it. Or if you are defending your property, yourself/another person, livestock, then you can shoot a dog wearing a collar.

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice so do your own homework. :cool: It would suck to get in trouble because some sorry ass, dindu nuffin dog owner will not take care of their animal(s).

Good post.

That's still the law of Georgia.
I didn't know about this particular statute. Thanks for calling our attention to it.

Other laws in other parts of the Georgia Code make it a crime to kill dogs, and the exceptions for defending "your property" or your "livestock" or your "pets" don't apply-- you don't own a deer until you kill it, even if the deer is living on your land. It's the State's deer until such time as you reduce it to your possession, your property, by killing it.

But in the law, THE SPECIFIC CONTROLS OVER THE GENERAL. And a general law that says "don't kill dogs" must yield to the law that says "It's OK to shoot dogs that are chasing deer, if those dogs don't have collars." That's a VERY specific law. So if it fits the circumstances of the case, you can shoot, and the law is on your side.

Hypothetical example: If I owned a dog that accidently escaped their enclosure and was shot by "hunter", that SOB had better check his stands, hunting clubhouse or anything else associated with the SOB because life would get really hard for them!!! Hypothetical, of course!

Hypothetical example: If I owned a dog that accidently escaped their enclosure and was shot by "hunter", that SOB had better check his stands, hunting clubhouse or anything else associated with the SOB because life would get really hard for them!!! Hypothetical, of course!

And hypothetically speaking, you'd be just another sorry ass dindu nothin dog owner who couldn't control your animal. "my dog is such a good boy, and doesn't do nothing..." Hypothetical, of course!

And hypothetically speaking, you'd be just another sorry ass dindu nothin dog owner who couldn't control your animal. "my dog is such a good boy, and doesn't do nothing..." Hypothetical, of course!
Why is that? His dog breaks a chain or out of a pen, immediately makes him irresponsible or white trash?

You don't find that a bit judgmental? I mean damn.

Why is that? His dog breaks a chain or out of a pen, immediately makes him irresponsible or white trash?

You don't find that a bit judgmental? I mean damn.

You should go back and read his post before you get all "judgemental". It was his "hypothetical" reaction to others for not taking "hypothetical" responsibility for his dog that I have a "hypothetical" problem with.

The OP asked a specific question, and he got his answer. But apparently some people on here live in la la land and think that when dogs escape they go out for a few hours, romp through the woods playfully with Bambi, and come home nice and refreshed with a bouquet of flowers.

Since we have so many "critical thinkers" that like to play "what ifs" and blame hunters for something that rarely, if ever, happens. How about the more likely scenario of your dog getting loose and biting someone or killing livestock or someone's pet? Me personally I'd "hypothetically" take responsibility and deal with my dog myself, and I'd prefer not to have to do that so I take every precaution including training my dog.

If some of you are incapable of keeping your dog from "breaking chains" or getting "out of pens," then it sounds like a dog is too much responsibility for you. Maybe you should try a rabbit as a pet...

My kids and/or the neighborhood kids will sometimes forget to close and latch the gate, which results in my dogs getting out. After reading this thread I have realized that I am white trash, low life, scum and I wish to change my ways. The only thing I'm not sure on at this point, is rather to get rid of the dogs or the kids. It is obvious that I can not control either.

I wonder how many "drama queen" posts this owner made on their GheyBook page about their dindu nuffin dog before it "accidentally" escaped and created this mess... :noidea: http://www.pe.com/articles/bull-821749-pit-poodle.html And the same would apply to the many other similar articles that we could easily find on the subject.

Meanwhile I've heard about 1 (THAT'S ONE) hunter shooting dogs in recent memory.

Back
Top Bottom