• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Dogs

You are also allowed to shoot a collared dog if you are defending yourself, others, or property.

I never once said anything about shooting a dog just running in the woods. I've been pretty clear in fact.
Just keep in mind the deer are not your property, so that doesn't count either for a collared dog.

this has turned into a fight, people are getting personal. before we get banned for a week or a cool down period. i am leaving it with you.
to all of the children who say thing like this"An it's degenerated into some piece of trash bragging with photos of his shooting prowess, an his wifes tits. CLASSIC internet tough guy stuff"
you miss the sarcasm in the comment about a wife, you say internet tough guy ( we can meet just pm me) and comment on shooting prowess.it was suggested i could not shoot, i posted a pic to the contrary.
you guys have fun, this "piece of trash" is out and hoping for a pm from a internet tough guy.
Can't say this was unexpected.

I'm more than comfortable with my ability to handle myself. The day I let the dumbest person in the room, so to speak, dictate my actions, well that's just not going to happen. Enjoy the rest of your day sitting exactly 100 yards out from that dog food bait pile on the edge of your property.

now that is truly stupid... i tried not to get personal like some of you have. but wow.
please,please tell me you dont own a dog. your gonna get him killed for no reason.
please, dont own a dog...
hunters help manage the animal population, thats why we have set limits. thats why we have no season or limits on invasive animals. dogs running loose are a problem, people who justify it are more of one.

no your statement was which is why I pointed out how stupid your logic was. I am an actual ecologist and I can tell you your definitions of invasive species and feral animal have been completely off and I mean textbook completely off. now I don't expect you to even acknowledge this as almost everyone else on here has tried to show you some error in your views but your reaction has consistently been, "don't care im gonna shoot whatever bothers me." I have no doubt if you follow through with this mentality you will find yourself in a legal issue in the future but by all means bring yourself into that situation because you were "annoyed". but for your own arguments research the definition of words before you try and use them.

I was out hunting on the 23rd. Took my new Son-In-Law. He was in one stand and he was visited by four of the neighboring landonwner's dogs. Two of them chased off deer. I've seen one of the guy's dogs on my trail cam. I'm gonna download the pics and take them to the neighbor. I'll explain that he almost lost one or more of his dogs.

My regular hunting buddy said he'd have shot them. What say you?

I would venture to say that the dogs didn't "chase" the deer very far. Most dogs already know that the deer is much faster.
Do people realize what a good "deer dog" will fetch $$$$$ in South GA?

well it seems like your buddy is more hell bent on killing anything that moves, than just hunting.
Not even close, Buddy. The dogs were way up in the property chasing deer. We put allot of effort and money into it over the last coupla years and I think is p!ssed him off. Looking at some of the other answers, I don't think he's very rare.

I appreciate the advice. I especially like the response with the link to the legal reference. My son-in-law almost took the shot thinking they were coyotes. He realized they were dogs when they came closer. Some did have collars.

Where I come from, if someone doesn't control their animal, its ok to put the animal down when they cause you problems. When I was a kid, I was treed by a pack of wild dogs. I'll never let that happen again. I do think, that since I suspect I know where the animals live, I should do the right thing and give the owner a chance. Heck this close to the end of the season and all. I am going to warn him that I, and some inexperienced hunters, will be out going for coyotes and pigs. It would suck if his dogs were misidentified.

I appreciate the input from those that kept it civil. For those that didn't... well... I'll let that dog lie.

Back
Top Bottom