• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low balling

I've had (and probably made) lowballs before. I never try to intentionally lowball but it may be taken that way. I also don't get my panties (not that I'm saying I wear them) in a twist if somebody lowballs me. Just respond with a polite no thank you or a price I could do. If they push a lowball and start explaining how dumb my price is then I will respond with a bit more clarity.

I just generally try and price fair. Although with a Sig P226 sitting at $475 maybe I don't understand fair prices anymore.

BTW, that is a good deal on the 226. I am in for 400 if you bring it to me ... :p

Had to do it.
Not sure what is up but there have been quite a few 226 hit the list in recent weeks.

BTW, that is a good deal on the 226. I am in for 400 if you bring it to me ... :p

Had to do it.
Not sure what is up but there has been quite a few 226 hit the list in recent weeks.

Absolutely! $400 plus a $100 delivery fee. Completely understand and we gotta be able to have some fun with all this.

Type A Seller: Treats ODT like a marketplace and he/she will not lose a penny. They consider themselves expert negotiators and pride themselves in being able to buy low and sell high. They don't really care about the firearm. They are not really a hobbyist. They just want to make money. They will relist an "overpriced" item over and over and over and over because they WILL NOT LOSE money on an item.

Type A Buyers: They don't care if they offend you. They don't have any skin in the game - "business is business", right?

• So if they offer you half and they get it, great! They'll sell at a profit and that will reinforce their feelings of themselves as being expert negotiators. They will pat themselves on the back and brag to their buddies about the deals they've made.
  • If the seller doesn't accept their offer then well, screw the seller! If the seller offers a reasonable counter then they may or may not play, depending on the offer. See - they don't want the firearm itself to enjoy, they just want to be able to turn around and make a profit off of it.

Type B Seller: Asks 75-85% of price of a new firearm new. Is tired of the gun they thought they would enjoy but they didn't so they want to sell it and hopefully get something nice to replace it. They are a hobbyist and firearms enthusiast and they realize you can't sell a used item for new prices if you want to sell it and not keep relisting it.

• May actually sell the item for less if it is a friend who wants it.

Type B Buyer: Tends to offer 75-85% of the price of a new firearm if it is used. May go higher if they really want something because they want it to shoot and enjoy.

So imagine what happens when a Type A seller gets and offer from a Type B buyer. Or vice versa. Because of the nature of each - it usually ends in frustration.

You put alot of thought into that one, didn't you?

Unfortunately there's no way to quantity what makes a low ball offer. Each ODT member has his own trigger level. Me personally, I think lowballing and price gouging are myths that only exist in the mind.

Unfortunately there's no way to quantity what makes a low ball offer. Each ODT member has his own trigger level. Me personally, I think lowballing and price gouging are myths that only exist in the mind.

so you dont feel the $3 i offered you for the 1903 was a low ball? maybe i shoulda went $2!!........lol

Back
Top Bottom