LPVO: Edumacate Me, Fellow Tradesmen

User170512

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Occasionally Banned, but OK
49   0
Reaction score
Looking to get into the 1-8 or 1-10 optics game. Maybe even the 1-6 if there's justified reason to. All of my hands-on experience thus far has been with regular "old school" higher power scopes or "ordinary" zero magnification red dot optics. Who has experience with the different reticles, dots/shapes, and powers? What about 1st and 2nd focal plane positives and negatives? Will be getting training use and needs to be able to take being banged around. Not going to be a safe queen. Budget is medium, somewhere in the $1k range or lower, but tell me what you know. BOCO.

*Main purpose for this optic is for a primary DDM4V7 from up close to 300m.

20230614_083703.jpg

Browse EuroOptic. I have an Athlon 1-8 I caught on sale. Its much better than a Vortex Viper PST I had imo.

I would try and find one with the reticle on the 2nd focal plane. That will keep the reticle the same size no matter what power you have it on. That makes it easier to acquire short range targets. But everyone has their opinion.

With optics, you get what you pay for..MOST of the time. I think Vortex is overrated and you pay for a name. But they are others that will take hard use and hold up. Athlon is an affordable brand that is good quality for the money. When I first installed it I straight up threw the rifle on the ground (grass) to see if it would hold. I did it a few times because gdammit it better hold up, I need to know. These aren’t flower pots. I use the **** out of my stuff.

Very amateur opinion on this one. But I am a First Focal Plane guy. Especially with the ACSS reticle for LPVO use.

Granted, I believe it's proprietary on Primary Arms optics, and there's plenty of opinions on them as a company, but I have been highly pleased thus far.

Big circle for low magnification, quick target acquisition, but when magnified you know your holds are true and consistent out to that 300m distance.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm a 2nd focal plane type of guy. My LPVO's are all 1X6 though. If it's a rifle for longer range shooting it would be a traditional scope. My favorite LPVO I have is a the Vortex Razor. Another one that I really like is the Delta stryker.

Well if your purpose is 300 and in I would recommend a dot with magnifier over LPVO. We use them in competition but we shoot out to 600 highly recommend the Eotech exps2-2 with the two dots and a magnifier I think you will be happier than with a LPVO

Back
Top Bottom