LPVO: Edumacate Me, Fellow Tradesmen

If your heart is set on a lvpo, the golden rule applies, you get what you pay for.

I'm a biased acog fan, but that's not what you asked about.

I tired a Leupold VX6 1-6, Leupold mk6 1-6, mk4 1.5-5, vxr patrol 1.5-4, and several others. IMO, the bulk and weight is not worth the marginal gain in performance on a mostly upclose gun.

If your heart is set on a lvpo, the golden rule applies, you get what you pay for.

I'm a biased acog fan, but that's not what you asked about.

I tired a Leupold VX6 1-6, Leupold mk6 1-6, mk4 1.5-5, vxr patrol 1.5-4, and several others. IMO, the bulk and weight is not worth the marginal gain in performance on a mostly upclose gun.
I could very well lean ACOG. I bought one on here many years ago but got screwed by the seller and it was a military property unit. Just want to learn what I can on LPVO.

I could very well lean ACOG. I bought one on here many years ago but got screwed by the seller and it was a military property unit. Just want to learn what I can on LPVO.

There’s the PA 3x microprism too…pretty sweet little optic.

How did a mil ACOG screw you? Like you got caught by CID and had to turn it in?

1-8 or 1-10, ffp for sure.

1-6 is a toss for me, but would sfp.

Under 1-6, sfp.

On the 1-8 and 1-10, reticle design matters. What works on 1x, may be way too large on 8 or 10x, and vice versa. Vortex, eotech and Kahles have all figured out the reticle. The Gen 3 razor reticle is awesome. The PA platinum series is getting good reviews, but I haven't spent any time behind one.

The NX8 1-8 has a good reticle, it's light, and pretty tough, but the eyebox is tight.

You get what you pay for. Go Jap glass or better. Most scopes that are made in Japan are made by LOW. They know what they are doing, regardless of the name going on them.

Another one to consider is the new Leupol 2-10. I am not a Leupold fan by any means, but I was impressed with the one I played with a month ago.
I guess I'm not sold on the LPVO, but wanting to consider the options before buying new glass for the DD. If it can function as a real red dot AND it can go to 10x with holdovers on a FFP, that's got appeal to me.

There’s the PA 3x microprism too…pretty sweet little optic.

How did a mil ACOG screw you? Like you got caught by CID and had to turn it in?
Well, I wanted to get it serviced and called Trijicon only to find out it was Govt property when I read out the serial. Wasn't going to mount it on any weapon of mine after that.

Higher magnification is better with a first focal plane optic. Lower magnification is fine for second focal plane scopes. If you're into precision shooting, especially in matches, a first focal plane riflescope is the way to go.

For reference, standard sniper scopes are FFP. Military snipers most commonly use a 5-25x scope. Police designated marksmen use lower power scopes (such as a 4-16x or even an LVPO like a 1-10x) as they rarely shoot past 100 yards in real situations.

Out to 300 yds, either will work. Some good choices are (in no particular order):

Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS
Primary Arms SLx
Primary Arms PLx
Nightforce NX8
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2
Eotech Vudu 1
Trijicon Credo HX
Leupold VX-6HD
Sig Sauer Tango MSR
Vortex Strike Eagle
Vortex Viper PST II
Vortex Razor HD Gen II
Riton Optics 2022 series X3 Tactix

I guess I'm not sold on the LPVO, but wanting to consider the options before buying new glass for the DD. If it can function as a real red dot AND it can go to 10x with holdovers on a FFP, that's got appeal to me.
You really will never use holdover or need ffp range estimation capabilities at 300 meters. 10x power at 300m will only slow you down.

For your intended range and target size, a red dot is the way to go.

I have the NightForce NX8 1-8 on one rifle and the Vortex 1-6 PST on another rifle. I do NOT like the reticle on the NightForce at all, I much rather have the cross hair on the Vortex PST any day. As a matter of fact, I’m looking for another Vortex PST 1-6 now, especially for less than 1/3 of the price of the NightForce. I also run a red dot on a 45 for quick close up shots.

I looked at the Sig scopes, but they have the same reticle as the NightForce. So that’s a no go for me.

I also have a rifle set up with red dot with a 3X magnifier as well. I really like this set up for fast target acquisition, then flip over the magnifier for longer shots. It’s a really nice set up that’s works very well.

Back
Top Bottom