• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 Carbine info

Status
Not open for further replies.

The act of removing the serial number off of a firearm is a crime, and also a crime to be in possession of a defaced firearm, even if you were not the one who defaced it. That’s punishable by Georgia state law, and most other states have identical or similar laws.

Per the ATF:

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.​

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerceany firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

The act of removing the serial number off of a firearm is a crime, and also a crime to be in possession of a defaced firearm, even if you were not the one who defaced it. That’s punishable by Georgia state law, and most other states have identical or similar laws.

Per the ATF:

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.​

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerceany firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
Understood, I want to stay within the parameters of the law. I will contact my local sheriffs office and see what they recommend, thank you.

Good LORD! Do NOT do that!
Understood, I want to stay within the parameters of the law. I will contact my local sheriffs office and see what they recommend, thank you.

That's a provision of the GCA of 1968. Before that time/law, serial numbers were used by manufacturers to track firearm production and shipments to private individuals, wholesalers and retailers but mostly for Q/C. You have no way of knowing when the serial number was removed and ALL U.S. Military M1 carbines were manufactured during WWII, when, public education taken aside, was before 1968.

I have several rifles that do not have serial numbers on them and all were manufactured before 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom