• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 Garand accuracy question

I`ve collected and shot .30 caliber U.S. service rifles for 35 years now. I`ve always liked books as my information sources- I`ve found it easiest for me to use at the bench or at the range when working on something that is giving me a problem.

These contain, in my opinion, the best info on the M-1`s use, repair, troubleshooting and tuning for accuracy.

The Book of the Garand.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Steve Edwards is your answer. The man is a genius with the M1 and M1a. He spent a couple of hours tinkering with my M1a and this is the results.

I second the recommendation of Steve Edwards, he accurized my M1 and M1A which I shoot in CMP and NRA matches.
I have shot Gold Medal scores with the M1 and place 28th in the 2016 Springfield M1A National Match.

Steve learned under Hook Boutin who helped create/design the M1 and M1A National Match Rifles.
http://www.gpb.org/wwii/gerald-boutin
I had the honor of meeting Hook a couple of months before he passed. Many people considered Hook a national treasure for what he gave to the Service Rifle shooting sport and National Matches. His spirit lives on in the rifles he worked on. Usually a Hook rifle is identifiable by the serial number & rear sight adjustment markings colored in yellow.

Start with the basics, stock fit is a huge factor. Grasp the gas cylinder does it move slightly from right to left? If so barrel needs peened . Also what ammo are you using?
Dont take this wrong but have you fired a high power rifle before? It may be shooter error as much as anything else. Also if you are shooting from a bench do not set the front hand guard on a rest. Set the rifle on a rest behind the swivel on firearm. The front hand guard is open on the bottom and if you set it on a rest the op rod will contact rest and can cause accuracy issues

Start with the basics, stock fit is a huge factor. Grasp the gas cylinder does it move slightly from right to left? If so barrel needs peened . Also what ammo are you using?
Dont take this wrong but have you fired a high power rifle before? It may be shooter error as much as anything else. Also if you are shooting from a bench do not set the front hand guard on a rest. Set the rifle on a rest behind the swivel on firearm. The front hand guard is open on the bottom and if you set it on a rest the op rod will contact rest and can cause accuracy issues

What's involved in the peening? I have slight movement in my gas cylinder. Like very small but it's not rock solid.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom