• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mailing Firearms within the State

Box it carefully as if you'd expect gorillas to handle the sorting of packages on a moving escalator.

Be prepared to show a copy of the receiving FFL's license if mailing out of state. Address must be the same on the license and the 'mail to' block of the address label. Include a photocopy of your GADL or GWL for the receiving FFL's records. The postal clerk may ask to see the copy inside the package (I doubt this has ever happened as it presupposes that the clerk would have some knowledge of actual postal regulations related to shipping long guns via the postal service) so bring tape to reseal the package if you have to open it.

Person to person within the State, no documentation is required.

O.K.

For about the one thousand and sixteenth time.

Long guns can be mailed through USPS from a resident of a state to another resident of the state, directly, door step to door step.

The safest way to mail (but the most expensive) is registered mail, which is the same service used by diamond merchants.

No FFL, no signature, nothing is required but a stamp. If you are willing to take the risk of loss, you can mail if parcel post (or whatever the USPS calls it now.)

I hate to interrupt the internet discussions about "what if" but here are are USPS regs. NOTE; IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT USPS REGS ON SHIPPING ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE SAME AS BATF REGS ON TRANSFERRING OWNERSHIP, I.E. USPS DOESN'T REALLY CARE WHO YOU SHIP IT TO.

[paste:font size="3"] 432.3 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    1. Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
    2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  2. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  3. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  4. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  5. 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  6. 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
  7. 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
'

I may not know, but I've shipped 15 or 20 long guns within Georgia, and a couple out of state. This is how I roll.

Package securely, as mentioned.
I usually build my own boxes out of large flat pieces of cardboard. You pay postage by weight and size.
Old "laundered" socks work well for the first layer of protection of the firearm, then whatever to keep them from moving in the box.

Nothing on the outside of the box indicating contents.:tape:
Never put FRAGILE on the box. Fragile means kick and stomp, in postal language.:mmph:

Answer NO to the little questionnaire about liquids, explosives, corrosives, fragile, etc.
Talk about the weather, the traffic, or your grandkids, but don't ever say anything about firearms.:tape2:

Pay postage, get additional insurance to cover contents.:greedy_dollars:

Notify receiver of the tracking number, so they can be sitting on the doorstep waiting for it's arrival.:pop2:

I'd much rather ship than drive over 30 or 35 miles for a meeting. I find it much more economical and convenient.

Shipping is much like riding a bike. I seems a little scary the first time, but after a while it's as easy as walking.:thumb:

Pack it securely in a quality box with no indication as to the contents. Take it to the post office and send it with tracking and signature required.

The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that it is ironic that the USPS regs say you have to ship it some way that requires a signature, when they don't require the mailman to get a signature. If you actually want to make sure you get a real live person to sign for it, you have to request and pay for "restricted delivery".

Back
Top Bottom