• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marauder Style Conversion

Slow rust blueing is slow. About as slow as a Costa Rican gun safe near the sea shore with an unplugged Golden Rod. The results take about 3 to 10 days to materialize but the ultimate result is much finer.

Here, barely over 1 hour with the first very wet coat of Pilkingtons...A fine bloom of rust. Fine grained, fairly even and not too many fingerprints! There is no carding (rub out w/0000 steel wool to remove unbonded oxides) at this point. A second, very thin, nearly dry, coat of Pilkingtons is applied to the steel. It should dry completly in a few seconds. Wipe in one direction, cover every part fully. Handle every part with clean dry rags or paper towels....no oil or wax allowed. It looks splotchy, it is. It will even up all but the oily spots. We'll know after the first boil if a strip and restart is in order.

From here on out the process is: Boil the red rusted part. Force it dry with a hot air gun, water makes spots. Rub it out gently with degreased 0000 steel wool. Thinly, thinly coat the parts with Pilkingtons and hang it warm and humid for 3 to 12 hours. (Longer and intermediate coatings may be needed to rust some alloy steels like Win 94 receivers, marlin sights and levers, etc.) Once its boiled, you can even hang it and come back another day since boiling converts the red oxide to black and kills the solution.

As you can see, some alloys resist rusting quite a bit.

i.imgur.com_W9y3Z.jpg

Mag tubes are difficult to handle and difficult to rust. On Marlins, the forming process seems to leave hard and soft spots in a corkscrew pattern. It can be difficult to have a final finish that dosn't show the cork screw or a few very light spots. These spots are a bit greyer but disappear under the final coat of oil. With rust blue, when it starts to turn a hint of grey, its telling you it's time to oil or grease or wax the metal, the protective oil has evaporated. But, either dry or oiled, its a beautiful satin finish.

i.imgur.com_gnCu2.jpg

Hardest part of the barreled action is the left side panel. Smooth even strokes with the Pilkingtons helps keep streaks from forming as you go. Much of the streaking is buffed back and blended with the 0000 wool rub out...but careful prep means better finish and less work overall. Are you getting the theme? Much of the refinishing of a gun is all about how well and diligent you are with the rubbing and rubbing and rubbing.

i.imgur.com_OKrEo.jpg

Only 30 minutes into a second 2 hour stint where the solution is allowed to bite the steel. A fairly even bloom is rising on the metal and its so hot and humid even a kiss of ferroferric oxide is blackening up in the finish befor the first boil.

i.imgur.com_r09CS.jpg

Everything you own can be multipurpose. For example, the turkey fryer can be adapted to a rust blueing tank for making Marlin Soup. Only specialized piece of equipment for blueing barrels and actions is a black iron tank large enough to do the job. (Iron only, other metals can interfear with the conversion from red to black oxide).

Tacos for dinner and Marlin for dessert.....See ya again later tonight with the first hints of black on this good American steel.

i.imgur.com_IfvYf.jpg

First of the black oxide on the first boil...only a little at a time. Good rust blue comes up slowely.

Small parts ready for first boil in an iron pan on the stove. Double filtered water from the drinking tap to make sure there is no mineral streaks or spots.

i.imgur.com_kstDd.jpg

Fire is lit under the big boiling tank and the water is fast approaching a boil....big parts submerged to bring them up to hot too.

i.imgur.com_fIevA.jpg

After the first boil the small parts have a rather nice layer of black, lots of fluff on there. I want the oxide that is bonded tight so anything that resists a hard scrubbing with 0000 steel wool stays, everything else is disposed of. (remember, no grease or oil, handle with clean hands and use clean towels to keep fingers off the metal finish for now)

i.imgur.com_mjM4N.jpg

Meanwhile, the big tank has been at a vigorous rolling boil for 10 or so minutes...time to pull the parts one at a time, starting with the lever and the trigger group....force dry all the metal parts with a heat gun, push the water out of the holes and slots and crannies, hang them up to cool.

i.imgur.com_UiAJv.jpg

A different alloy than the small parts, first layer is more gun metal grey. It'll be thinner too after the unwanted fluff is scrubbed off. After this scrubbing the base metal will show thru...no worries, it darkens with each pass and the scrubbing ensures only the permanent color remains in place.

i.imgur.com_SRjDu.jpg

The action and barrel, pretty even and also a nice shade of grey. A bit lighter in the photos due to the flash. Overall I'm happy with this first pass on the action and barrel.

i.imgur.com_Br0aJ.jpg

Scrubbing off the unbonded oxides on the magazine tube. These tubes fight being blued. But it'll come out okay in the end.

i.imgur.com_su4KU.jpg

As you see, knocking back the receiver and barrel. A good first pass. Pretty even, no finger prints and just a bit darker than the photos show. Rust blueing is slightly faster in the summer....the metal is never this dark, first pass with a cool/dry winter rust blue...even with a damp box.

i.imgur.com_SVjB9.jpg

I cleaned them all up, coated again with a thin coat of Pilkingtons and I'll let them hang untill boiling them again on Monday evening. Sometimes I go 2 times per day, but, gotta work this week so, I'll kiss it again with rust blueing solution in the morning and let the days heat and humidity work on the finish for me.

A quick check before bed and the second bloom is comeing up a bit slower but very fine and even.

i.imgur.com_iqkUq.jpg

i.imgur.com_WVUGC.jpg

An addition thin wipe with Pilkingtons to work the night thru...another in the morning then second boil and carding tomorrow night.

i.imgur.com_2LtID.jpg

515 AM Monday and a quick check. The overnight bloom built well. Another very light wipedown with pilkingtons and it'll work untill at least 6 pm this evening when once again, Marlin Soup. We should see a bit more color this evening. Untill then, remember, paint is for fence posts.

i.imgur.com_b7QUr.jpg

i.imgur.com_8NLfJ.jpg

Monday evening. Second boil, second carding and tonight is third rust till I boil again on Tuesday evening.

Marlin soup cooking in the big tank in the Garage and the little parts cooking in the iron pot on the stove. Notice, the nice red rust that bloomed up on the parts with a 24 hour sit. I'll bet I have a lot more black than grey this cycle....lets see.

i.imgur.com_bHaKO.jpg

The small parts in the foreground have been boiled and carded with 0000 steel wool...see how much more black than grey they are? Success, a good even coat of black iron oxide is building on the surface...just gotta keep away from oils and waxes and sweat drips on the parts. Note the action, fresh out of the boiling tank...plenty of loose oxides but a good even layer, I'm sure it'll be much darker now than it was after the first boil and, I'm banking on fairly smooth and even finish.

i.imgur.com_lLyBA.jpg

I've carded the top of the action but not the barrel...thats what I'm looking for, even, satin, blacker than grey and no fingerprints. So far so good. The barrel appears to be blackening up a bit faster than the action....different alloy, different rates of color.

i.imgur.com_HsVsO.jpg

The parts laid out after an initial carding. Now most of the fluff is gone, a vigorous rub out to even up this layer and make sure I didn't miss a spot.

i.imgur.com_TO3go.jpg

After the last rubbing with the 0000....looking just fine....in the dry cool winters it takes about 4 rust cycles to get to this point. I love summers in the south, its good for rust blueing.

i.imgur.com_SoSvz.jpg

A light coat of Pilkingtons, hang the parts and I'll check back on them in an hour or two...another light coat before bed and in the morning and we'll see how they look Tuesday evening after a third boil.

I LOVE this thread!

Thankyou. I love the projects. Relaxing...can't wait for the next one. Hard part is not gettin distracted from the Marauder goal as I run thru plans for another one in my head while working....something about a switchbarrel lever gun...

Sharps40 what is your thought on cutting down the barrel of a Remington 760 pump in 35 Remington from 22 inches to 18 or 16 1/2. I have thought about after this thread. My thought was with a synthetic stock it would be a quick handling rifle. Thanks

Well, lets see...

Magazine fed.

16.5 to 18 would be nifty and no big loss for power with that wide bullet.

Install a light weight synthetic stock to loose nearly a pound of weight.

Trim the buttstock to actually fit you since the 13.5 to 14.25 inch factory length of pull it too long for about 75% of us, 90% when wearing heavy winter hunting jacket.

If its scope sited, reinstall of a new front sight is optional.

Eliminates the worn crown on a fairly old rifle....better consistency, potentially better accuracy.

If it ain't pristine and you plan to hang on to it, its no loss of value.

Matches up with the rare and highly demanded 760 carbines.

I think its a no brainer. I'd go between 17 and 18 inches. You can always shorten it up a bit more later...also leaves a bit room for correction if you reinstall the front sight crooked.

Back
Top Bottom