• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marauder Style Conversion

Thanks for your input. It is an original first production. When I got it somebody had spray painted the entire gun. Other than that it is all there. You are right as you don't see many in this caliber and since getting I have had several friends try and buy it from me. For now it is a working thought, time will tell!

I've coated the gun 11 times to encourage a bloom of rust to develope, and boy howdy, did the heat and humidity help the process. I boiled twice today once before work and once after.

Here you can see the dark black of the loose oxides. A bit of promise for what is underneath. There is now a hint of silver in the loose oxides and I have learned to take this as a sign the blueing is finished. Further coating removes as much as it builds with little or no gain in color. If it has streaks or spots now, its too late, strip and start over.

The magtube shows much promise. Much more black and very smooth and consistent. I suppose the action and barrel will be much the same.

i.imgur.com_upsrg.jpg

Ah success, the barreled action after a vigorous carding all over with 0000 steel wool, satin velvety and no spots.

i.imgur.com_MoEng.jpg

The small parts after carding and a thorough wipe down with a bit of terry saturated with Rig +P and Hoppes 9 Oil....

i.imgur.com_rPzlk.jpg

The lever after similar treatment....

i.imgur.com_pL96w.jpg

And here, the end results of all the work, resting comfortably in a coating of that good Rig +P/Hoppes 9 oil. I'll let them all hang for a day while blueing screws and cleaning parts. After that, wax that good Marlin Walnut again and assemble for the final pix. A couple three days to go.

i.imgur.com_cR1th.jpg

i.imgur.com_C4fmD.jpg

i.imgur.com_yZ1Ah.jpg

i.imgur.com_XS3Wb.jpg

i.imgur.com_imOlf.jpg

i.imgur.com_bRAto.jpg

I couldn't wait. Up at 6 am to look it over....it kinda assembled itself.

Use a shim when banging in the rear sight to protect the blueing on the barrel.

i.imgur.com_5PV6t.jpg

And, don't let it fall off the deck after carefully starting assembly with properly fitting screwdrivers. A break or scratch is a catastrophy at this point. Only scrapes and rust from honest hunting are allowed.

i.imgur.com_jAsyd.jpg

i.imgur.com_hPTht.jpg

i.imgur.com_Bsfoo.jpg

i.imgur.com_Fp3E7.jpg

With all the basic guts cleaned, lightly oiled and installed/function checked.

i.imgur.com_mBgoX.jpg

i.imgur.com_G4PeY.jpg

The view from the shoulder...

i.imgur.com_FN3Nf.jpg

A handy sling swivel up front...I didn't drill the stock for the aft swivel....can't bring myself to do it.

i.imgur.com_oCyIT.jpg

And a few shots of the forend, all around.

i.imgur.com_IMaZg.jpg

i.imgur.com_1ffr7.jpg

i.imgur.com_5FXA6.jpg

This Marauderesk project is completed. Thanks for watching. Gettin ready for the next project now so time to move it out.

i.imgur.com_sF4PR.jpg

i.imgur.com_JXQd9.jpg

i.imgur.com_gqv6r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom