Media Separator Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the stainless media can casue hangups... I've added a magnet to my media separation tools... Works great snagging singles of steel.
That's good to know, I bought the walnut shell media. That stainless media must not be 100 percent stainless if a magnet will catch it. That's how I test anything stainless is with a magnet. If the magnet sticks to it, it's not pure stainless.

I use GROUND walnut shell for media. Not CRUSHED walnut shells. I get it at Petsmart, very inexpensive. Ground walnut shells are much finer than CRUSHED and it does not get stuck in flash holes.

As for a separator, I bought a LARGE colander at Wally world. It's outer rim is the perfect diameter to fit a five gallon homer bucket. I dump the contents of my Lyman tumbler into the colander sitting on top of the homer bucket and shake it a few times and it's done. Remove the colander and dump the bucket back into the tumbler.

I stole mine from the wife's kitchen (large colander) and use one of her cabbage pans (22" diameter) to drain the media in. I use rubber gloves, do this out side and upwind to avoid lead dust.

After then I de-cap but just prior will tap the case on the press to remove any tiny bits of walnut that tend to stick.

I looked at a frankford arsenal rotary style setup, but it didn't get very good reviews.

I saw the same reviews but i caught them on sale at midway and said what the hell and i bought one. Works fine, and I'm happy as a chipmunk in a barrel of peanuts with it. I used a plain old collander like you strain noodles in before i got it and it work ok, just never quite got all the media out of the cases though and i was tired of picking out every case and turning them upside down and tapping em on the bucket to get it all out. Not an issue with the frankford separator though. Always keep in mind that you can't always go by the reviews, some people just wine about anything lol. hope this helps you.

I use a two part minnow trap with the ends wired closed to spin out steel pins from larger batches of brass. Works great on bottle necked rifle cases. If you're not loading for extreme consistency or accuracy, I've read that tests leaving the walnut or corn cob media in the flash holes had no appreciable effect on velocity or ignition. Still don't like the thought of that stuff screaming down the barrel.

The Zilla lizard litter won't get stuck in flash holes but won't clean as good. I use Lyman green corn cob first, deprime, then re tumble in the walnut (Zilla) this gets the lube off as well. If you put fifty in an old sock run back and forth it will get the dust off and your dies and hand will stay cleaner. The layman sifter top works great for seperating jut run upside down in a bucket the motor will do the work for you.

That's good to know, I bought the walnut shell media. That stainless media must not be 100 percent stainless if a magnet will catch it. That's how I test anything stainless is with a magnet. If the magnet sticks to it, it's not pure stainless.

Not true. Some grades of stainless are magnetic, others are not.

I recently added a case tumbler to my portfolio of reloading equipment. Someone please tell me that there's an easier way to separate the media from the casing than sitting there with a pick trying to get it all out. I looked at a frankford arsenal rotary style setup, but it didn't get very good reviews.

I have one of these.
Nice little units, nothing super industrial about them. but they are good for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom